Latest Delivery
My Very Near (vernier) calipers and height gage have never needed new batteries nor has the gear jumped the rack. They were also great when someone came around asking for a measuring instrument. They usually mumbled something about me being an apprentice of Henry Ford or someone of similar vintage. Rotfl
Thanks given by:
Be honest. Henry Ford wasn't even born when most of you guys were apprentices!
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2022, 12:45 PM)rleete Wrote: Be honest.  Henry Ford wasn't even born when most of you guys were apprentices!

Tongue
Willie
Thanks given by:
Touche!
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
I stumbled across one of these Mitutoyo 900581 'Center Master' probes on eBay while searching for something else.

[Image: 900581.jpg]

Made an offer on it and got it much to my surprise. The only issue is it didn't come with any instruction pamphlet in the box. I'm just wondering if anyone else has one that came with an instruction sheet they could copy? Maintenance / calibration / parts list etc.

No info available on the Mitutoyo web site. I'm assuming this is a discontinued item they no longer support.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Designed for height gauges, for determining the location of the centre of a hole. Slide the pointy end into the hole and adjust the height gauge until the indicator lines up with the mark. Still available and very expensive!

https://shop.mitutoyo.eu/web/mitutoyo/en...ndex.xhtml
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Yes. I'm looking to find out if there is any kind of documentation for checking it's calibration though. It has a couple of tiny copper washers under the mounting stem base. Are those shims to tilt the probe up or down to align the point with the flat on the mounting stem? It would be nice to be able to check it out before using it to be sure the end point is in the right location as related to my height gage.. Chin

I would like for example to be able to accurately measure from the base of something sitting on a surface plate and finding the distance to the center of a hole higher up on the work.
Willie
Thanks given by:
I searched the MItutoyo website and their support and downloads pages are useless. Most responsible manufacturers put user manuals there, well even irresponsible ones do! I guess Mitutoyo's idea of support documentation is additional promotional material.

However they claim a lifetime warranty and a high level of support for products. I'd just sign up with them and fire off an email asking for a user manual download.
Thanks given by:
Unfortunately the fact is I don't know if they have or ever had a 'manual' for this tool. All of my Mitutoyo tools have only come with tiny pamphlets (folded up slips of paper) in the box/case at best. This probe does have a ONE YEAR warranty paper in the box but nothing in the way of any instructions. Seeing as this is a previously-owned tool it may have gotten lost... if it even had one at all originally.

The box still has a MSC stock tag on it that is dated July 27, 2017 and the probe looks to be in pristine condition. No visible wear on the point at all. If it was ever used I would guess I could probably count the number of times on one hand.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Latest delivery came in the mail today. I have had four strings of these "Thread Detective" sizing tools for some time now.

While they are great for checking the size of loose fasteners that you can easily spin into or over one of the gages, they are quite a pain to use for checking the threads of fasteners already mounted on a piece of equipment that can't be removed. Studs or nuts welded to a frame for example. You have to try to line up the threads and spin the entire cable full of gages round and round while it flops all over the place. Even worse if you are working in tight quarters. I wanted to separate the gages so that they could be used individually but I didn't want to just throw them all together in a bag or a plain box where they would get all jumbled together and possibly damage the external threads.

I talked to the master of 3D printed tooling boxes about it and he generously designed and printed the perfect solution for me. Thanks again Ed.  Worthy  Smiley-eatdrink004

Willie
Thanks given by: