Teflon tips and tricks - got any?
I want to cut some 1/2" wide strips from a small sheet/plate of 'Virgin' Teflon that is 1" thick. I've not had to machine PTFE before so I'm not sure what to expect. Can I just throw this in the horizontal band saw and expect a decent cut - or not? If not...

Hand saw?
Slitting saw in the mill?
End mill?
Other?

It doesn't have to be a pristine cut I just don't want to end up chowdering the remainder of material so I can save it for future use.
Willie
Thanks given by:
How do you know the teflon hasn't been fooling around, just asking.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I've cut Teflon with a table saw. Any sharp blade cuts well. Just hold it firmly and control the speed of the cut. Don't want to risk grabbing it and throwing it around the room.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by: Highpower
(05-02-2021, 07:11 PM)f350ca Wrote: How do you know the teflon hasn't been fooling around, just asking.

C'mon Greg. An eBay seller would never lie about something like that would they? Rolleyes

I do have to say that I suspect it has been around the block once or twice though. The corners look to be dented a bit. Chin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(05-02-2021, 10:15 PM)Hawkeye Wrote: I've cut Teflon with a table saw. Any sharp blade cuts well. Just hold it firmly and control the speed of the cut. Don't want to risk grabbing it and throwing it around the room.

Actually I was concerned about holding it too firmly because it looks like it deforms pretty easily judging from the looks of the corners on the block I got. I suspect it's been dropped a few times in the past. Unknown if that was courtesy of the previous owners handling, the USPS or both.
Willie
Thanks given by:
(05-02-2021, 10:15 PM)Hawkeye Wrote: I've cut Teflon with a table saw. Any sharp blade cuts well. Just hold it firmly and control the speed of the cut. Don't want to risk grabbing it and throwing it around the room.

Ditto on the table saw.  2nd choice would be a vertical band saw. When machining plastics in general make sure you keep the temperature under control otherwise it will warp. Use lots of air to keep it cool along with a minimal amount of coolant. Flipping it 180 degrees in the vice will also help and make sure you are not aggressive with the DOC and with the amount of pressure applied by the vice.
Thanks given by:
Well I don't own a table saw so I guess I'll try putting my 7x12 up into vertical mode and feeding it by hand. If that gets too squirrelly for me I guess I can try putting it in the vise and horizontal mode.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Arise, old thread, and live again!

I just had to cut some Teflon rod for a couple of bushings. I used my wood bandsaw (fairly fine tooth blade) along with the miter gauge. It cut quite cleanly with minimal effort. Cleanup of cut ends was done on the lathe, again with minimal effort.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by: