Tooling question for RF-45 clone
ED what size is your kurt vise and what does it weigh? I have yet to acquire a substantial milling vise, prob will go with one of the kurt clones as the price for the real thing will be hard to justify right now + perhaps harder after I go for the surgery. STEVE how long was your xyl incapacitated after her replacement? The doc says 3 months I told him the most I could afford was 2 weeks, should be able to push the clutch + brake after that, I think the hardest thing will be climbing in + out of the truck
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Tom, SWMBO wasn't incapacitated. They kept her in the hospital for a day or two longer than normal because some weekend intern thought she had an infection but her real doctor booted her out as soon as he got a look at her. I guess it's a "better safe than sorry" thing. They had her walking and exercising during her stay.
Anyway, full weight on it right away and walk with a cane and her physiotherapist told her not to use the stairlift we put in for her previous hip replacement recovery.
BUT she was not allowed to drive for 6 weeks! So, I don't know about clutching and braking the truck .
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(05-23-2012, 11:16 PM)TOM REED Wrote: ED what size is your kurt vise and what does it weigh? I have yet to acquire a substantial milling vise, prob will go with one of the kurt clones as the price for the real thing will be hard to justify right now + perhaps harder after I go for the surgery.

Tom,

I have the Kurt D675 which is a 6" vise that weighs about 75lbs. They no longer make that model. Its been replaced by the D688 which is basically an improved version of the D675 with the physical dimensions and weight remaining almost identical to the D675.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Tom,

Weight bearing as soon as possible is encouraged, as it prevents muscle wasting and promotes quicker recovery. Additionally, it reduces the risk of chest infections and DVT by getting you up and moving.

You will need to discuss driving with your surgeon and take his/her advice, as should you have an accident your insurance will be voided if you are deemed medically unfit to drive. Generally they don't like you to extend your knee too much until the bone starts to grow back around the prosthesis, which is about the 6 week mark. Anyhow, you will probably find it difficult to do this for some weeks. Discuss this all with your surgeon though, as things may have progressed since I did my orthopaedics rotation.

Good luck for a quick recovery.

On the topic of vices, the Glacern ones look very nice and had the shipping to Australia not been such a killer I would have bought one from them.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I bought the Glacern 5" as it was only 52 lbs and I thought it would be easier to manage but if I could do it over I would get the 6" version instead. The quality of the vise is very good and I would not hesitate to buy one again.

On the knee replacement I also would go with what the Doc recommends. I have had both my hips replaced and 6 weeks off work was about right. Good luck.

Dan
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
Willie!

I didn't even know you and Henry were serious?RotflRotflRotflRotfl

just funnen Smiley-eatdrink004

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: