Tooling question for RF-45 clone
(05-22-2012, 11:34 AM)EdAK Wrote: I would definitely go with the vertical/horizontal one. It's much more versatile. YMMV Smile

Ed

Smiley-signs064

I think Henry and I may have twins? Chin

[Image: th_Roughing_Pockets.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
Just remember that you can attach a plate like Henry did to his 6" to an 8" rotary table also thus increasing its capacity. This is another one of those tools where I think bigger is better, within reason. Here I go again with my Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the help. The ENCO sale and free shipping was just too hard to resist. Now the waiting startsBig Grin
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
Dan,

Enco is pretty good about shipping stuff so you shouldn't have to wait too long. So did you go with the 6" or 8" table?

Ed
Thanks given by:
(05-22-2012, 05:09 PM)EdAK Wrote: Dan,

Enco is pretty good about shipping stuff so you shouldn't have to wait too long. So did you go with the 6" or 8" table?

Ed

Ed,

I went with the 8" horizontal/vertical version. I agree with the bigger is better as long as I can still get it up on the table some how. 85lb is getting near this guys limit. I should start working out againBig Grin

I also got 2 reamers and a tap for my current project. I have a Rigid 14" bandsaw and broke the mount/adjuster for the upper wheel. They only cost $19 but so many people are breaking them that no one has them in stock and no firm date from the manufacturer when they will be available. They are a cheap pot metal casting (China) with some design flaws that I hope to fix. My version will be made of steel with beefier cross sections in the failure areas. I'll post it up when I am finished.

Still getting used to the idea that I now have the tools to make something like this. Of course, it also has some welding in it so it's not all new territory.

Dan
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
I have a 10 inch rotary table for my RF45 mill, have not yet bolted it down to use it, you guys got me wondering if it will fit the table oh well if it,s too small just a better excuse to upgrade the mill. I also have an indexing head set that works either horiz with a tailstock or vertical or any angle in between as well, I have not yet had the time to try either. Life is too short their never is enough time. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Tom,

These RF-45 clones have a 9" table depth which is the same as a lot of Bridgeports so the 10" RT might fit, but it'll take up a lot of real estate. The nice thing about these mills is the spindle to table distance at about 18" maximum.

Ed
Thanks given by:
The 10 inch is pretty big + when fitted with the 200mm chuck is very heavy, think i will have to aquire an engine hoist or some other means to lift it. My lathe is still on the skid in the centre of my garage, "I have not had the time or energy to get it placed in it's home against the north wall yet, hope to get that done before I go for my first knee replacement June 30th. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Didn't hear of your upcoming knee job when we last spoke Tom. I trust caterpillar won't be doing the work.
Seriously, My wife had a knee replacement in 2011 and they had her up and on it the following day, it's been marvelous.
The only advice I can give is follow your rehab exercises and physio religiously.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(05-22-2012, 07:31 PM)TOM REED Wrote: The 10 inch is pretty big + when fitted with the 200mm chuck is very heavy, think i will have to aquire an engine hoist or some other means to lift it.

tom

I use a cherry picker to lift the rotary table and Kurt vise up onto my mill table. I'm too wimpy and old to be trying to lift that kind of weight anymore.

Ed
Thanks given by: