Harbor Freight 7x12 Mini-Lathe
(05-26-2021, 07:18 AM)rleete Wrote: Metalworking forum and you guys don't even turn your lathes on!

Not much since I got the Logan. There have been a few times it woulda been handy, but I used the Logan anyway. Smile
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
Today I measured the run-out on the mini lathe spindle using my Mitutoyo DTI that reads in .0005" increments. The needle barely moved. I'd need a .0001" DTI in order to get a true measurement. That was good news. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
(05-31-2021, 05:03 PM)EdK Wrote: ....That was good news.  Thumbsup

Ed

Smiley-signs021
Willie
Thanks given by: EdK
That's almost unheard of on a 7x. Especially after being shipped. You got lucky!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
Thanks given by:
(05-31-2021, 09:33 PM)Vinny Wrote: That's almost unheard of on a 7x.  Especially after being shipped.  You got lucky!

I was measuring the internal Morse taper 3 of the spindle. I'll have to measure the chuck register and see what that gives me. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
A lot of folks were complaining where you measured it was .003-.004 off or out of round.
Thanks given by: EdK
I measured the chuck register and there's about .0003" of TIR. I can live with that.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Printed a cover for the apron to prevent swarf from clogging up the gears. It's not perfect but it'll work for now.

Ed

Thanks given by:
In preparation for installing a carriage lock I had to file the side of the saddle so I can bolt a piece of steel to it. My hand drilling skills don't exist so I'm going to wait to drill the mounting holes for when my drill press arrives next Tuesday.

Ed

Thanks given by:
(06-04-2021, 09:32 PM)EdK Wrote: ... My hand drilling skills don't exist ...

Ed

Smiley-signs009

That is why I have a bunch of these now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX7zVyN-pl4

Saved my bacon when I had to drill and tap the small holes in the cast iron base column of my mill to mount the limit switch rail for the power feed I put on the knee. The casting is not exactly flat nor round where I had to attach the brackets. Trying to hold a hand drill perfectly perpendicular in two different axis is not a gene that I possess. I can come close with one or the other but never both.  Blush

Where did you file on the side of your saddle? Everything looks factory ground.  Jawdrop
Willie
Thanks given by: