file restore
Not yet, I've been using my old files to make punch and press tools, so I need to wear one out now so I can test the sharpening process.

Best regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
The hardware store is cleaning up old stock so they gave me this at 75% off. The label says it phosphoric acid, allow file to soak for at least 2 hours.

[Image: IMG_0555.jpg]

Gave it a try on this BADLY abused lathe file. It is dull all over to the point a finger nail can't detect the teeth. Here's a before shot.

[Image: IMG_0553.jpg]

So after 2 1/2 hours outside on a cool day we got this.

[Image: IMG_0554.jpg]

Still not like new but it will cut now. Will probably try soaking it a little longer and see what we get. For 5 bucks it was a cheap experiment.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I often wondered if that stuff worked. Thanks for posting the picture Greg.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2013, 07:45 PM)f350ca Wrote: Here's a before shot.

So after 2 1/2 hours outside on a cool day we got this.

So, it's for improving your camera's focus then? 17428

(j/k) Big Grin

I've cleaned up old (rusty) files that wouldn't cut a lick in the past by soaking them overnight in Evapo-Rust. I was surprised by how much it helped. They actually cut now.
Willie
Thanks given by: EdK
Greg, I've tried to find "Miracle Sharp" via Google, no luck. I've tried to find it on the home hardware site and I also entered what I think is the Home Hardware #, 1074-036, all to no avail. Any advice as to how I could get some here in the land of "You Can't Get that Here" > any suggestions? I'd even pay the full price in order to give it a try, I have drawers of files that require more than the file card can do.
There is a firm in the U.S. that offers a file reconditioning service that I would try 'cept the cross border shipping/customs hassle makes it to expensive.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Willie, the camera was in focus on the before shot. No idea what I did to burnish the surface like that. Probably hiding that spot on the second photo.
Steve, No idea if another bottle exists i the universe. Barry said its been in the store since he took it over. That product number may well be a dummy they use to print a price sticker.
Will be experimenting further.
Greg
Thanks given by:
A good tip form poroldchap on Youtube about file cleaning ( he has video check it out ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi7mU1WkluU
Rather than the file card type brush, he gets a bit of old copper plumbing pipe about six inches long and flattens one end with a hammer the holding the flat end at an angle pushes it along the directing of the grooves between the teeth of the file, sort of angle like you would be if scraping paint off something with a scraper. The copper after a few pushes alters to the shape of the teeth and cleans all the crud out of the file teeth. It wont sharpen them just remove any dirt or stuck pinnings ? I think they are called.
Anyway I tried it and really does work a treat DroolDrool, Top marks to poroldchap WorthyWorthy

P.S ....its easier to do, than to try and explain how to do it lol.

Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Good video Mick Thanks
Greg
Thanks given by:
Sounds like too much work for me! Blush
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I have seen this posted on other forums, not sure now what they used,, was it muriatic acid or

(Brain not running on all cylinders, -few bent valves!)
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by: