file restore
HI all well i red this in a old engineering book on haw to resharpen old files as you all no i use a file or two so i thought i wood give it a go sos no pics of the files before the proses but got sum after right i sorted me old files out and gave them a scrub with a file card its a proper wire brush for cleaning files then i put them in a tray and covered them with acid old battery acid then left them to soke for have a day and well it did work their was two well worn i left them in for a full day and they came good too have a go and see if you have the same result i don't no the concentration of the acid in the pics you will see one with all the muck floating on the top all this came from all the files right pics

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
I guess it cant hurt to try it.(in a result sense i mean) Do you think it will turn a Chinese file into a pferd?

The wire part of file card i could never seem to get any results from and I even read many people advise against using it as it might dull the file. Since its already dull though i guess it cant hurt much. I have much better results from a brass toothbrush and a razor for the really stubborn stuff.
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
I read somewhere that some machinist swears by the use of Bamboo end grain to clear tooth gullets. He even made a nifty holder (using a file handle of course) to hold the chunks of Bamboo.
If I am repeating myself just disregard this gobblygook. ( sometimes I don't know which forum I've posted what on).
(Oh, by the way, I'm only on the "other forum" as a form of annoyance.)
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Steve,

I've also read that bamboo is a good file cleaner.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Is battery acid "Hydrochloric acid" and does anyone know the approximate ratio to distilled water for batteries?
I'd like to try it but I don't have any old batteries hanging around.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(05-23-2012, 02:31 PM)stevec Wrote: Is battery acid "Hydrochloric acid" and does anyone know the approximate ratio to distilled water for batteries?

i think that that is different stuff. you should be able to find it at any auto parts store.

what do you mean ratio to distilled water? do you mean for filling a battery that has lost fluid? you add only distilled water.
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
HI have bin told concrete cleaner will do the same job
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(05-23-2012, 02:31 PM)stevec Wrote: Is battery acid "Hydrochloric acid" and does anyone know the approximate ratio to distilled water for batteries?

Hi
Battery acid is sulfuric acid (30%) with water
John
Thanks given by:
I'll have to give this the acid test. On file cards, I use them all the time, maybe my files are oily or something but they always plug, even with steel, there's a file card at the lathe and another on the bench. My files last a long time so can't see the card dulling them.
Greg
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I use a file card on my files all of the time and it cleans them up nicely. I'm sure the bristles on the file card are much softer than the file is, at least one would think so. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by: