file restore
http://www.boggstool.com/

i wonder how much damage they can salvage? the pricing is right that is for sure.
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
Two words......

File chalk. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(05-23-2012, 03:01 PM)mikecwik Wrote: i think that that is different stuff. you should be able to find it at any auto parts store.

what do you mean ratio to distilled water? do you mean for filling a battery that has lost fluid? you add only distilled water.
Mike, I meant what dillution should I use in order to equal the concentration KRV used so as to judge the time of the soak.
Thanks for the auto parts store source (why didn't I think of that.
KRV, I believe concrete cleaner is called "Muriatic" acid and it's a mixture of acids, like sulphuric & hydrolchloric or something.
Not to say it won't work and it is another source, thanks I think I'll give it a try.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(05-23-2012, 08:04 PM)mikecwik Wrote: http://www.boggstool.com/

i wonder how much damage they can salvage? the pricing is right that is for sure.
Mike, thanks for that link! I'm gonna go back to it and read more.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
yep gnaw i no it works those files i see at boot sales for 20p seem to be a bargain
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
I contacted boggs tool company, i was curious as to what they could recover and they basically said send us anything you got.

i know i got to have some files that need some lovin around here somewhere.... it only took me 4 days to find a box of spare countersinks.......
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
Here is another company that sells and sharpens files...Bob
http://www.saveedge.com/
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
I was at the hardware store yesterday looking for degreaser, they had a jug of FILE AND SAW SHARPENER, the container said it was Phosphoric acid. In hind sight I can't believe I didn't buy it.
Greg
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Phosphoric acid can be bought cheaply for Hydroponics purposes, they use it to lower the pH of the nutrient solutions they use, so they sell it at the maximum possible concentration. I last paid 7 pounds for a litre, In Australia I used to pay $10-15, it is quite thick and heavy as well, always a good sign that your acid is concentrated.
I've not used it on files though, I would guess it's really good at cleaning off the rust which is the primary use for phosphoric acid, but it doesn't eat away much metal.

My Dad used to say that you use Sulfuric acid to sharpen files and it works by taking an even amount of every face of the teeth, which leaves the tips of the teeth sharper even than they were when new.
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
evening lads Big Grin

A couple of quotes from Workshop Receipts for the Manufactures,Mechanics & Scientific Amateurs. Vol 1 1885 Popcorn
[Image: normal_P1050027.jpg]

Renovating Files

The file to be first cleaned from all foreign matter, and then
dipped in a solution of 1 part Nitric acid,3 parts Sulphuric acid and 7 parts water ; The time of
immersion will be according to the extent the file has been worn and the fineness of
the teeth , varying from 5 seconds to 5 minutes .
On taking out of the mixture ,wash in water , then dip in milk of lime ,wash off
the lime ,dry by gentle heat, rub over equal parts of olive oil and turpentine , and
finally brush over with powdered coke.

Galvanic Method.

Well worn files are first carefully cleaned by means of hot water and soda;then placed in connection
with a positive pole of a battery, in a bath composed of 40 parts of Sulphuric acid, 80 parts of Nitric
acid , and 1000 parts water . The negative pole is formed of a Copper spiral surrounding the file , but not touching
them; the coil terminates in a wire which rises towards the surface . When the file has been ten minutes in the bath
they are taken out .washed and dried.

Interesting stuff Popcorn

Rob
Thanks given by: