Inserts
Question 
Another question Ed. What formula are you using to determine what size hole to make, in relation to the OD of the inserts?
Willie
Thanks given by:
It's usually specified with the inserts. If it gives a range, use smaller size in softer plastics, larger in harder ones.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(01-31-2022, 11:37 AM)Highpower Wrote: Bear in mind I am only thinking about replacing inserts that have been broken out vs. installing them fresh in a new housing. My only use would be for making repairs.
Your thoughts?

Years & years ago I worked at a machine shop that made items for the US military, virtually all for the Navy. I do remember some torpedo nose cone parts made from cast aluminum that required some steel inserts. That was the first and only time I ever encountered specs for an item that included thread inserts as part of its manufacturing. All the other times I have used thread inserts was to make a repair.
Thanks given by:
(02-01-2022, 09:27 AM)Highpower Wrote: Another question Ed. What formula are you using to determine what size hole to make, in relation to the OD of the inserts?

I measured the inserts and guesstimated what the hole size should be and tweaked them if necessary. I went through all of the sizes of inserts I have and wrote down what the hole size should be. Then I tested them in PLA to make sure. The inserts I got didn't specify what the hole size should be.

Ed
Thanks given by: Highpower
(02-01-2022, 11:12 AM)EdK Wrote: I measured the inserts and guesstimated what the hole size should be and tweaked them if necessary. I went through all of the sizes of inserts I have and wrote down what the hole size should be. Then I tested them in PLA to make sure. The inserts I got didn't specify what the hole size should be.

Ed

OK, I thought as much. I ordered a small combination set from the same ebay seller you used. I guess I will have to experiment in trying to use them in epoxy too. I have some missing inserts in a couple of my Simpson meters with Bakelite cases where the bosses have broken out. Will have to rebuild new bosses from epoxy since I don't think my plastic 'welding rods' will work.

Stan, 99% of my Heli-Coil use has been for repairs as well although I have had made a few aluminum fixtures in the past where I installed them from the get-go because the threads were going to get used quite a bit. Changing hold down clamps, repeated mounting on a tripod etc., etc. Unfortunately my riv-nut sets or welders aren't going to help much on plastics and Bakelite.
Willie
Thanks given by:
(02-01-2022, 01:45 PM)Highpower Wrote: Unfortunately my riv-nut sets or welders aren't going to help much on plastics and Bakelite.

This is your chance to make plate steel cases for everything!
Thanks given by:

Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Got some 1/4-20 inserts for a project so I had to make an installation tool for them.

Ed

Thanks given by:
As usual... Graemlin
Willie
Thanks given by: EdK
Where's the other sizes? And no printed plastic case? C'mon, Ed; you've raised our expectations of you.

Seriously, though, nice finish.
Thanks given by: EdK