Help Clutch issue - Woodhouse and Mitchell Junior 70 lathe
I recently picked up an old Woodhouse and Mitchell Junior 70 lathe from a deceased estate.  The clutch lever doesn't move. I'm not sure if the previous owner has just overtightened the clutch or the selector ring has moved, given the drawing appears to show this sitting up against the clutch body.

If anyone out there has one of these lathes, I'd really appreciate it if you could remove the circular access plate on the back of the headstock and take a photo of your clutch for me.  Both of the clutch (disengaged and engaged) and the position of the clutch lever when the clutch is disengaged.

Otherwise, all comments welcome.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Good to see you back on the forum. I hope you plan on staying.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ed. Yes it has been a while and a lot has changed. I'll drop into the 'office' and give you guys an update!
Thanks given by: EdK
OK..... Who left the door open again? Rotfl

Glad to see you again D. Thumbsup
Willie
Thanks given by:
Thanks Willie!
Thanks given by:
OK - I'm continuing the teardown of this lathe and I've hit a bit of a hurdle.  I'm having issues getting the selector handle hubs off the selector shafts.

The two threaded holes go all the way through the hub and I have tried screwing some bolts in and trying to 'push' the hub off the shaft that way, to no avail.  I even drilled a strap of steel and bolted this to the hub and tried pulling the hub off with a slide hammer.  Again, to no avail.  The back of the hub is taperes, so I cannot get any purchase back there with a pry bar or similar.  

Any thoughts? 17428

I've also added some pics of the teardown, as I know you all like pictures!

I've never seen oiling port like these before - they are completely open. I though that perhaps they had caps that were missing but the pictures from the brochures/manual etc show them as being open as well.

Thanks given by:
(01-27-2022, 06:43 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Any thoughts? 

Add a little heat.  Propane torch would be my go to.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
Are we sure those hubs aren't threaded onto the shafts? Hey, I had to ask right?

My first choice (assuming they aren't threaded or pinned on) would be a bearing separator and puller set.

Failing that alone, follow up with an inductive bearing heater or a blue smoke wrench. I agree with rleete - you are probably going to need some thermal expansion happening on those.  Smiley-gen163

Most of the oil ports on my lathe are open as well but considering it's country of origin...  Rolleyes
Willie
Thanks given by:
Also, have you checked for a small grub screw in the bottom of the handle hole?
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2022, 07:41 PM)Mayhem Wrote: I recently picked up an old Woodhouse and Mitchell Junior 70 lathe from a deceased estate.  The clutch lever doesn't move. I'm not sure if the previous owner has just overtightened the clutch or the selector ring has moved, given the drawing appears to show this sitting up against the clutch body.

If anyone out there has one of these lathes, I'd really appreciate it if you could remove the circular access plate on the back of the headstock and take a photo of your clutch for me.  Both of the clutch (disengaged and engaged) and the position of the clutch lever when the clutch is disengaged.

Otherwise, all comments welcome.

OK I'm willing to ask the stupid question. Can you move the clutch by hand with it out of the lathe?
Thanks given by: