Powered Drill Press Table
My trusty old Craftsman drill press never had the crank to raise and lower the table.  It wasn't available when dad bought the thing in the 1970's.  Searches for one have proved fruitless, and my back has seen better days.  So, when all else fails, reinvent the wheel!

I used a cheap-o Chinese (redundant, I know) power supply and linear actuator found on the web.  Walmart, I believe.  Switch boxes and switch were leftovers I had from Radio shack (man, I miss that place) combined with Home Depot wiring and connectors.  Power is wired through the integral lamp in the head, so power supply isn't on except when using the thing.  Button is momentary in both directions, and linear actuator has integral stop/limit switches.  

Pictures of the setup.  Please excuse the mess.

Botton mount:

Top mount (underside of table):

Power supply, mounted on table where original crank was supposed to go:

Finally, the switch, mounted to the back of the head casting:

It's not the quickest way to get the table up and down, but it works quite well, and saves me from trying to lift the damn thing by hand.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
Nice job. I have a couple of linear actuators looking for something to actuate, this is now on the list of possibilities. Are you still able to rotate the table left / right?
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Nice addition.  Smile
My Craftsman press has the hand crank on it but it is sloppy as hell. Came that way when new. I've been telling myself to fix it for a couple of decades now.  Blush

Pete asked the same question I have as well. You never have a need to swing the table?
Willie
Thanks given by:
Now I finally know what I can do with the actuator I took off an old treadmill. Should be a fun project. I'll set it up so I can swing the table. 4" actuator, so maybe a scissor lift moving a sliding collar.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
(01-16-2022, 04:54 PM)Pete O Wrote: Nice job. I have a couple of linear actuators looking for something to actuate, this is now on the list of possibilities. Are you still able to rotate the table left / right?

Yes, there is enough slop in the mounting points that I can swing it about 30 degrees either way. But, to be honest, I rarely do that.
Thanks given by:
As long as it suits your needs it's perfectly fine. I found it quite handy on occasion to swing the table completely out of the way to set up something large/heavy/tall on the base plate. I wasn't too keen on putting an engine block up on the table and expecting it to survive. Luckily those days are over for me now. Smile

Still need to make some bushings for that crank handle though. Every time I use it I'm afraid the pinion is going to slip and the table is going to hit the floor. Slaphead
Willie
Thanks given by:
(01-17-2022, 09:34 AM)rleete Wrote:
(01-16-2022, 04:54 PM)Pete O Wrote: Nice job. I have a couple of linear actuators looking for something to actuate, this is now on the list of possibilities. Are you still able to rotate the table left / right?

Yes, there is enough slop in the mounting points that I can swing it about 30 degrees either way.  But, to be honest, I rarely do that.

For the guys needing to swing the table, a column clamp would be the way to go so you can swing it around
Thanks given by:
The bottom mount has a cross pin though the actuator, secured with a cotter pin. See first pic. If I need to swing the table out of the way, I just pull the pin and disconnect the actuator. The table still has the column clamp, so it can be held in any position.
Thanks given by: