Precision Matthews High Precision Mill Vise
I bought this mill vise from Precision Matthews for $160.

PM High Precision Mill Vise

I bought it based on my experience with their ultra high precision mill vise that I bought to use with my 9x35 knee mill. That was a very nice vise but costs $350.

PM Ultra High Precision Vise

Given my experience with the high precision vise just through cleaning it up, I should have bitten the bullet and gotten the ultra high precision vise.

There's a void in the casting at a bad spot.
The internal threads look like trapezoid threads but the screw threads look like standard pointed threads.
The divot where the half sphere sits in on the casting isn't machine at all, just the rough casting. The half sphere is very small.

Ed

Thanks given by:
So what is the plan then? You going to patch it up and use it or send it back?
Willie
Thanks given by:
(01-22-2022, 05:17 PM)Highpower Wrote: So what is the plan then? You going to patch it up and use it or send it back?

I'm going to send this information to PM and see what they say. It'd be a bitch to send it back since the original shipping box was trashed on arrival. Bash

Ed
Thanks given by:
Perhaps the Ultra High and High refer not to the accuracy of the vice but rather the manufacturing process...
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Here's Precision Matthews reply.

"Those voids are going to happen, and yes I see them in vises like this a lot. That will not hurt anything, but I will note that if anything is ever caused by that void, we will cover it.

The threads should be OK, I do not see that they look like trapezoidal threads, most larger threads like that seem to have a flat on them that you are seeing. Make sure it works and feels OK, but that looks pretty normal to me, I just checked the part I have in stock with the same threads and it looks the same.

As you can see with the vise you have from before, there is a difference in them, but you should be fine with this one, it will work just as it should.

You can always return it if you do not like it, that's not a problem. We do also have the HAV-4 in stock if you want something along the lines of what you had before."

I'll keep it and use it as is as long as they're willing to replace it should it fail.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(01-24-2022, 12:29 PM)EdK Wrote: Here's Precision Matthews reply.

"Those voids are going to happen, and yes I see them in vises like this a lot.

Ed

Well that certainly instills confidence in a product doesn't it?  Smiley-signs140

I sure would hang onto a copy of that reply though to refresh their memory if needed.
Willie
Thanks given by:
(01-24-2022, 08:08 PM)Highpower Wrote: I sure would hang onto a copy of that reply though to refresh their memory if needed.

They sent me a PDF of the receipt and they had put a note on it about the void and the fact that they would replace the vise if the vise broke because of the void. So I think I'm safe. Matt has a pretty good reputation for customer service.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I really can't see that void being much of an issue. Maybe grease would seep out, but I can't imagine it would break. I'd have to check mine, but I don't remember if there's a hole there or not. I do know mine has a tiny grease fitting on top of that pocket. The bearings, while smooth after cleaning, were full of gunk, as were the threads.

The spherical pocket may cause a little roughness, but I had the same issue with my grinding vise, and just used a hand drill and a ball end mill to make a more defined pocket. It's held up well under pretty rough use for years.

I've had mine for a few years, and I can't remember the seller, but I believe it was eBay.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(01-25-2022, 08:07 AM)rleete Wrote: The spherical pocket may cause a little roughness, but I had the same issue with my grinding vise, and just used a hand drill and a ball end mill to make a more defined pocket.

I plan on doing something similar with a die grinder and ball shaped cutter.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Those are blow holes. Too wet moulding sand, poor porosity, and/or too low metal temp. Ask me how I know......
Thanks given by: