Commercial 3D printer businesses?
(02-28-2022, 04:44 PM)EdK Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 03:51 PM)rleete Wrote: Standard print quality (.2mm layer height) yields a 22.5 hour print, using 170g (about 57 meters) of filament.  That's roughly 5 bucks in material.

That's close to what I got out of PrusaSlicer. 21 hours, 11 minutes and 165.5g of filament. I used an infill of 25% where the guy from Thingaverse used 20% He also  didn't use any supports but I added supports to those arms that stick up on the back. No way would my printer be able to handle it without supports. I had to learn how to selectively add supports so at least I learned something.  Smile

Ed

I'm assuming the supports you guys are talking about are for while it's printing and they are not permanent right?
Willie
Thanks given by:
(02-28-2022, 05:27 PM)Highpower Wrote: I'm assuming the supports you guys are talking about are for while it's printing and they are not permanent right?

Correct. The green stuff in the picture. You break/cut it away when the printing is done.

Ed

Thanks given by:
OK, now that I see it it makes sense. Which makes me wonder how it is even possible to print those without the supports? 17428

It's not like you can lay down a bead of molten plastic in mid air. This kind of stuff just blows my mind sometimes.
Willie
Thanks given by:
(02-28-2022, 10:57 PM)Highpower Wrote: Which makes me wonder how it is even possible to print those without the supports?

Yea, I don't know how the guy from Thingaverse was able to print it without supports.

rleete, you got any insight into that?

Ed
Thanks given by:
Actually I was thinking about it all wrong anyway. I was picturing the tray being printed flat on the bed with the downspout pointing up from the bed. I thought the supports would have been located between the 'bottom' of the tray and the round mounting rods. I was mentally looking at it from the wrong angles. Blush

I don't know how you guys do it. After watching a few random videos on 3D printing the number of variables involved are staggering. Jawdrop
Willie
Thanks given by:
The orientation while printing also has a major determinate on the strength of the part. I'd have to read up on it again before figuring out which direction would be best. It also is a huge factor in the amount of time it takes to print the object and how many other items can be printed at the same time.
Thanks given by:
(03-01-2022, 10:15 AM)EdK Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 10:57 PM)Highpower Wrote: Which makes me wonder how it is even possible to print those without the supports?

Yea, I don't know how the guy from Thingaverse was able to print it without supports.

rleete, you got any insight into that?

Ed

As a general guideline, a 45 degree or less overhang can be printed without support. I know I have done test prints with overhangs that large and not had any issues.
Thanks given by: EdK
Agree with arvidj on the supports. I would try it without them, or maybe just tree supports. I've had pretty good luck with overhangs at an angle like that.

But the strength of those vertical rods will be suspect because of orientation. They can separate along layer lines. It's not going to see much in the way of stress, but any pressure on the plate might snap them off where they fit into the grinder. They appear to be hollow, so maybe stuff a dowel in there to reinforce?
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(03-02-2022, 09:18 AM)rleete Wrote: But the strength of those vertical rods will be suspect because of orientation.  They can separate along layer lines.  It's not going to see much in the way of stress, but any pressure on the plate might snap them off where they fit into the grinder.  They appear to be hollow, so maybe stuff a dowel in there to reinforce?

Looking at his YouTube video I assumed they were solid because the ends were covered / capped. I thought about the locking screws on the machine that hold them in place pressing (ever so slightly) on hollow plastic tubes and thought about dowels as well. But then I thought simply filling them with epoxy would work too. That I have plenty of.  Big Grin

Or maybe Ed's display just isn't showing the infill? None of this is in my wheelhouse. The local place that says they do 3D printing hasn't responded to my request for a quote either, so that tells me a lot right there. Not even a note that says we're not interested. Sadno
Willie
Thanks given by:
(03-02-2022, 10:15 AM)Highpower Wrote: Or maybe Ed's display just isn't showing the infill?

There's a 25% infill so it's not hollow.

If I were to design this I'd make the vertical rod and angled attachments as separate pieces and add more infill and glue or screw them to the tray. I wish the CAD file was available for the model.

Ed
Thanks given by: