Dividing head from a right angle gearbox
I have 2 gearboxes a 40:1 which i am using and a 60:1 that i could have used but it is tied up right now so the 40:1 will do.
It has 2 hollow shafts so i made slip in shafts to hold the chuck which is threaded 1 1/2-8 and another shaft that you turn to hold the plates and the sector arms. I still need to bend the sector arms and make the rotating shaft turner handle as well a small pointer to line up the holes. I wanted something small that was sturdy so i could use it on my shaper. The division plates came from the UK via Ebay seller marypoppinsbag and she may make or have more more but any plate will work. I couldn't see making them since they were pretty cheap and nice. So as always enjoy the pics and if any questions just ask. I have more pics of the basic parts and will take more as i finish...Bob

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
The square plate in the 1st pic holds the shaft which is keyed into the hollow drive spindle which is where the electric motor would hook up if there was one. The dividing plated fit over the brass tube sticking out of the square plate to center them and they are bolted to it.

The main spindle which holds the chuck or faceplate just slips thru the body and it is keyed also and has a set screw locking ring on the backside to hold it in.
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by:
Nice Bob. As far as the plates go, are there any things that need to be considered (like the gearbox ratio)?

Also, while I'm asking things Tongue, where did you source your gearboxes from?

Thanks much,

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
(05-27-2012, 02:05 PM)ScrapMetal Wrote: Nice Bob. As far as the plates go, are there any things that need to be considered (like the gearbox ratio)?

Also, while I'm asking things Tongue, where did you source your gearboxes from?

Thanks much,

-Ron

The chart that came with the plates has a 40:1 and a 60:1 division table. The 40: had more options so i went with that.
The gearbox is a Radicon that is used on a satatellite dish setup and i got it cheap prob because if the hollow shafts and it was from ebay also. I think it was UK made...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Thanks given by:
hi and well dun
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Bob,

Some smart work going on there - very nice Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(05-27-2012, 02:14 PM)aametalmaster Wrote: The chart that came with the plates has a 40:1 and a 60:1 division table. The 40: had more options so i went with that.
The gearbox is a Radicon that is used on a satatellite dish setup and i got it cheap prob because if the hollow shafts and it was from ebay also. I think it was UK made...Bob

Thanks Bob, now I'll know what to be on the lookout for.

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Nice use of readily available parts,
From memory, the Radicon Boxes I used to rebuild as an apprentice used shims to adjust bearing preload, so if you ever need to stiffen up the action these can be manipulated easily, moving wormwheel shims from one side to the other reduces backlash while adding or subtracting from one side only affects the bearing preload.

Best Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by: