GPS unit mount adapter
(06-11-2012, 11:00 PM)Mayhem Wrote: I grew up in and around mechanic shops as my Dad was a career mechanic. Never seen the sort of cary on and scripted crap like you see on these TV shows.

Now some of the work looks good and you can get a few ideas but as already said, how robust are they? Building something flash to stick in a corporate foyer is one thing. Building something safe, practical and reliable is a different story.

After spending a little time with Ken, I would happily use anything he designed/built.

I'd Like to agree with you there Darren, but unfortunately, My Dad and I worked side by side for thirty years and I witnessed all manner of aggression and control tactics, Don't get me wrong I loved My Dad, and still do but I can relate to families that work together ending up in court over money, I've seen that in two separate generations of the one family. I'm not saying I think the whole show is for real or that either party is at fault, only that sometimes business, money and families dont mix.

And a small difference of opinion can become a huge deal when either party feels that they have no escape, If it's just a job you can quit, but with a family business, quite often you don't feel that you can, so you stand and fight your corner, sometimes you even think you are helping the other party.

Ten years later, Dad has passed away now, and I realise the utter futility of what we sometimes put each other through, My aim now is simply to make sure it doesn't happen in a third generation.

Best regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Not disagreeing with you Rick - just the episodes that I have seen came over as so scripted and produced to increase ratings and entertainment. I'd prefer to see the mechanics and machining.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I think if they gave time to the actual engineering people would reaslise how so few of the people featured are actually gifted and that would ruin the ratings.
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
I think you have to put up with the scripted fighting
Just to see a little bit of engineering
(the fighting and tantrums ) will get the views
John
Thanks given by:
Last week I fitted the (optional) Triumph tall windscreen and the adjusters. I find it to be only marginally better than the OE stock windscreen for reduction of buffeting, but I'm satisfied. After the installation was complete, I noticed a lot more space between the instruments/gauges/clocks than what the OE windscreen offered. With that space there I decided to move my Garmin Zumo 550 from the post I'd made which stirred so much controversy about my gonads safety. Plus, the angle of the GPS unit's screen was hard to read or shade as it was facing up too much.

I removed and disassembled the post and bracket that was attached to the smaller socket head cap screws on the handlebar clamps. Then I cutoff about an inch from the length to make it a squared-off end. On my Bridgeport milling machine I milled off half the diameter for a 1-1/2" (38.1mm) long, then drilled and tapped two M6x1.0 threads through. Then I made a rectangular block to bolt onto the modified post, with counterbored holes for two M6x1.0 x 16 stainless steel socket head cap screws. Bolted it on with an .008" (0.2mm) shim between the two pieces, then bored a .4724" (12mm) bore between the two pieces. Finally, I turned the assembled block and post in in my lathe to make a uniform diameter.

I was able to mount the post on the little bar that supports the windscreen, and didn't have to remove the windscreen to tighten it up. You can perhaps see in the photos how the factory-made support bar is made with just a little window of space along the bar.

Now the Garmin unit sits at very nearly the same plane as the gauges, the protective rubber cover for the RAM mount electrical contacts is usable, and it's all working perfect. I had looked at a special mounting plate that Twisted Throttle has to do essentially the same job, but for the $1.30 I spent on this one I didn't have to remove the cover from the back of the gauges to fasten it.

This seems so much better, even if a longer reach to the Garmin's controls.

[Image: IMG_1619-r.jpg][Image: IMG_1622-r.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1615-r.jpg][Image: IMG_1623-r.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Very nice set-up Ken. Enjoy it! Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
Looks just like a bought one!
Thanks given by:
Ken,

That is very neat Smiley-signs107Worthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-17-2012, 07:23 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Looks just like a bought one!

Thanks Mayhem! That's traditionally the highest compliment you can pay a machinist. "Looks like you bought it" or "So where did you buy it?" were some of the standard ways of saying ""nice work" in the job shops I worked at for years.
Thanks given by:
Yep, same meaning over here as well. Do the Gonad Protection Society on the bike forum approve of this one?
Thanks given by: