How a welder can help with non-welding repair jobs
I see a lot of you commenting on here that you have welders and either don't use them because you say you can't weld, or because you have been putting off the welding jobs.

Well here is an example of how using a welder made a non-welding repair job a hell of a lot easier. When I say a non-welding repair job, I am referring to a job where a welder is not required to make the repair.

So, in another thread, I have been discussing the repair of the x-feed on a Kondia FV-1 mill that I have (the details on the repair job are HERE). Now the gearbox and motor assembly are difficult to work on on a bench, due to the shape of it. I couldn't do the repair and testing on the mill, as the mill is in my home shop and the lathe is in my shop at my Mum's house.

The solution - grab some scrap and make a bench stand to mount the assembly on. My welding bench has 4 slots (40mm wide) cut out of the top and all the edges are parallel, which makes set up easy. Here are some pics:

Base set up ready for welding (you can see the mounting plate and upright already welded in the background):

Upright and mounting plate welded on:

Gearbox and motor bolted on, ready for repair:

See how a welder can make life easier!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Good example!

To add to the list, if you have a bearing race in a bore that you can't remove due to access or whatever you can run a weld bead on the in side of the race. This will shrink the race enough that you can remove it by hand. I had to do this on my tractor recently and it worked like a charm.

Also on the tractor I had to change out a bad hydrulic hose and the old fitting was stripped out (outside part). I welded an old wrench to the fitting and was able to remove the hose.
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
Mayhem,

Nicely shown Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Clever idea for the test stand. I need to learn how to weld. I know, I keep saying that so my apologies.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Nice post Mayhem,Smiley-eatdrink004

Yes DanH I have seen that done several times works well.

So seeings as were on the topic,Blush

Here's my latest project,it's the drive pulley off a friends riding mower.
I tell ya this mower just want's to be left alone to die quietly.Happyno

[attachment=1819]    

With no money for parts I had to fake it using a welder, my lathe and scrap parts from my racing mower.Slaphead

[attachment=1822]         [attachment=1825]

With plenty of junk to work with and about six + hrs of practice with my welder behind me, I got started.Whip

First I needed a guide dowel to correctly locate the pulley.( Sorry about the blurry pic) 1" down to 13/16"

[attachment=1829]    

Once located Time to weld.SweatSweat

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Not sure what happened to some of the pics but you get the idea,

now the welding.

Then clean it up with a grinder.

Now tomorrow we'll see how well it works.Blink

Jerry.Popcorn
Thanks given by:
Nice save Jerry. Although considering the topic..... technically that was an actual "welding" job. Big Grin

In my case - once upon a time.....
We had planned a family BBQ on a holiday weekend and I was to perform the grill duties. No problem says I. Have a couple of grills, plenty of charcoal, brought home lot's of meat from the grocery - I'm ready. Thumbsup

Everyone shows up and I go out to start the fires in the grills.
Uh, oh....... all out of lighter fluid! Slaphead

The look on my neighbors faces when they see me standing out in the back yard with a set of oxy-acetylene tanks and a huge rosebud torch setting piles of charcoal ablaze....... Priceless! Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie, Love it! RotflRotflRotflRotfl

Ya this mower has been a pain in the ass!!Bash

My motor is in there too! After I fixed the electrical then the steering broke!

Made new bushing for that, then the motor threw a rod so install my motor then the pulley explodes!RantRantRant

The only plus is when he sales the home I get the mower. So all my parts plus more.

Jerry.Popcorn
Thanks given by:
(06-10-2012, 09:12 PM)ETC57 Wrote: My motor is in there too! After I fixed the electrical then the steering broke!

Made new bushing for that, then the motor threw a rod so install my motor then the pulley explodes!RantRantRant

Jerry, it sounds like my luck is rubbing off on you. All bad! Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
Jerry,

Nicely done Smiley-signs107

Good bit of welding, (heck of a lot better than mine) Smiley-signs107

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: