Making a steady rest
Hey Darren,

Not sure how I missed this when it was first posted, but it looks like a fun project. Smiley-think005

It will definitely be one substantial steady rest when finished!

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Nice size - looking good - like the bottle jack ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys. If it all works out OK, I'll be making one for my friends 10" lathe.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
A couple of shots of it in place (yes, I know it is the wrong side of the saddle!). This was just a test fit after filing the base to fit. I also sorted out the clasp.

Thanks given by:
It's coming along nicely Darren. That is one big steady rest for sure.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Very nice Darren. The three layered body is a good concept. The hinge lie is perfect. After all that work the telescoping tubes will be easy for you, Glad everything is comming together.

"Billy G: Smiley-signs107
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys!

The telescoping tubes are on the list Bill but will need to wait until my mate's lathe is repaired, as my chucks will not grab stock that small. However, I could grab his 3 jaw in my 4 jaw. I did think about swiping the ones off of yours next month but then I remembered you welded them into place! I'll have to get measuring and drawing I guess.
Thanks given by:
Looking good Darren.

You have trouble holding small stuff, I have trouble holding big stuff. Looks like we both need a second lathe. Thumbsup

How are you planning to attach the telescoping tubes to the rest?

Tom
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom, you are welcome to come and use my lathe at any time. You may need to help me rebuild the feed drive though but it will be fun!

I'm thinking of adding two 12mm plates (one either side) of the locations for each tube and then drilling the through hole. The would give me a block of steel 60mm wide by 50mm deep to play with. I haven't figured out the dimensions of the tubes yet, as I'm a little unsure of what would be considered appropriate for the size (18" ext. diameter / 14" int. diameter).

I'm open to suggestions though.
Thanks given by:
(08-19-2012, 09:29 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Thanks Tom, you are welcome to come and use my lathe at any time. You may need to help me rebuild the feed drive though but it will be fun!

I'm thinking of adding two 12mm plates (one either side) of the locations for each tube and then drilling the through hole. The would give me a block of steel 60mm wide by 50mm deep to play with. I haven't figured out the dimensions of the tubes yet, as I'm a little unsure of what would be considered appropriate for the size (18" ext. diameter / 14" int. diameter).

I'm open to suggestions though.

You are welcome to use mine as well, but it might be cheaper to just buy a lathe rather than a plane ticket.

I would start with the bearings you intend to use for the rollers and design the tubes to suit.

Tom
Thanks given by: