Teaching yourself to stick weld
(06-14-2012, 05:44 PM)EdAK Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 01:59 PM)Rickabilly Wrote: Anyone can squirt out some beads with a MIG,

Ah, not me!

Ed

Ah, but we are yet to see you try Ed!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2012, 07:38 PM)Mayhem Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 05:44 PM)EdAK Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 01:59 PM)Rickabilly Wrote: Anyone can squirt out some beads with a MIG,

Ah, not me!

Ed

Ah, but we are yet to see you try Ed!

Ah, but I have tried numerous times. I've just not posted the results on this particular forum. No worries, I'll bore you with the results soon enough.

Ed
Thanks given by:
You won't bore us Ed. Besides, someone may see immediately from your pics something that you might try to correct the issues you are having. I'm sure there will also be others with the same issues, who will also benefit. So step away from the computer and go lay down some beads!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Teaching yourself to do any type of welding has it's hurtles. But if you have the determination and desire to learn that skill - it will happen. If you give up after your first 10 minutes of trying, well.......

I was lucky enough to have a few good mentors to show me the BASIC procedures for stick, oxy/acet, and MIG. They showed me how to make a puddle. I was on my own to learn the finer points. Stick welding was introduced in HS metal shop. The owner of the repair shop I worked for as a young man taught me how to use a torch set and old coat hangers to weld exhaust systems together on vehicles. Jawdrop
I have since learned to use the proper filler rods. Big Grin

I went to work for a new car dealership and they asked me if I knew how to weld. I told them of my limited experience, but they said that's OK, because you are the only one here that can do ANY welding. Smiley-signs131
Then I was given a 2 hour crash course in MIG welding at a local technical college. I had to pass one weld test in order to be qualified to do a safety recall on one particular model vehicle. So I was the only one in the shop to do them. Sweat

A few years ago I decided it was time to round out my education and bought myself a TIG welder. Self taught all the way. I thought, how hard could it be? Bash

"Oh, what a strange trip it's been." Blush

Don't give up gentlemen. You will get there. How many gave up on learning how to do machining / metalworking? Huh? HUH???? Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
When I was recruiting staff in my old Job, I was hiring equal shares in motor mechanics and Machinists/Fabricators.

So many applications came in claiming simply that the applicant "Had welding experience", You'd be surprised how varied "Welding Experience" can be.

When I asked at interview one guy replied "I'm not sure what type of welding it's called but its the one where you use a big block of Metal in a fire and you melt guttering together with it"

Another said "I'm Ok I suppose, but I don't think I'm good"
Me;"So what sort of welding have you done?"
Answer; I used to work in a trailer Factory,

I thought Box trailers, of course

Me;"So MIG or Maybe stick welding then?"
Answer;"Yeah, but only on the ladders"
Me;"The Ladders?"
Answer;"Yeah the ladders that you use to get to the top of the tanker bodies"
Me;"Ahh so, Tanker Trailers?"
Answer; "Yeah, TIG welding the Aluminium Tanker trailers together"
Me "OK, so how long were you doing that?"
Answer; "Not long enough to get real good at it"
Me;"So, A week? A month?"
Answer;" All the other guys were doin it for thirty years, I was there about Five years so I wasn't near as good as them"

It was that day I realised Welding is all about perspective.

Needless to say his work was some of the best I'd ever seen, but he was scared of welding mild steel, because he hadn't done a lot of that all the tankers were Ally or Stainless. He used to ask why we don't design everything in Ally because he thought it'd be easier to Weld.

On top of that he was an excellent Mechanic and a great Guy, Never any Ego stuff, he just got about and did the work, Well.

Best regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by: