Degree Finder or DRO Question
(06-18-2012, 02:02 PM)Highpower Wrote: I have heard of some folks that securely attached a cheap laser pointer to the head of their mill/drill pointing toward the farthest wall in the shop from the machine. With the mill head centered they would lay out a vertical line on the wall where the laser spot was.

After moving the head of the mill all they had to do was make sure the laser was still on the line. It sounds like a good idea to me, although I've never had to try it. Chin

Others had said that they pointed the laser straight down at the base of the mill and made a mark there to reference to, but I think with the distance of going across the shop to the wall would be more accurate? 17428

The greater the distance the more accuracy you would "potentially" have. I say potentially because you would run the risk of the machine moving in relation to the wall which would throw you off.

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
I suppose that is true. So how hard do you have to hit one of those when bumping into it, in order to move it anyway?

And the more important question.... how badly is it going to hurt? Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
A laser would work if you had a very stable base. For most of my equipment, I have everything on rollers. I was doing a little research and found something called a digital arc plotting indicator. Now if I can find out even more perhaps there is an affordable alternative that will work for my thoughts.
Thanks given by:
Hi
I had a Axminster mill drill a lazer pen was just cable tied to the head
This hit a wall 15 feet away it proved to be spot on
The machine was on a solid base
John
Thanks given by:
Amazing John, cable ties and precision in the same message.
Thumbsup
Good job!
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(06-19-2012, 06:45 AM)stevec Wrote: Amazing John, cable ties and precision in the same message.
Thumbsup
Good job!

Definitely should look for a job at NASA. Smiley-signs107 Big Grin

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by: