Napolean Six Pounder
We may as well start this new forum out with a bang.

Here are some pics of a Napoleon six pounder I made a few years back (about 30 now that I think about it). I researched the project by visiting various museums and shows including making a trip to Gettysburg, and drew up the plans based on the information and photographs that I collected. The cannon is quarter scale with a 7/8" bore and wheels about 12" in diameter. The barrel was turned on a lathe out of brass and the trunnions attached with silver solder in pockets machined on each side. The wheels are made of hard maple (I figure it looks like quarter scale oak) with individual spokes wedged into the hubs and held together with steel tires that are shrunk on.

It shoots fairly accurately out to around 200 yards with lead balls and 250 grains of black powder. The concussion is impressive to say the least and heck of a lot of fun on the fourth of July.

I want to eventually make a caisson and a howitzer barrel for it if I ever find myself looking for a new project.

Tom

[Image: 004.JPG]

[Image: 001_2.JPG]

[Image: 006.JPG]

[Image: 007.JPG]

[Image: 005.JPG]

[Image: 002_1.JPG]
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Tom,

That's great!Thumbsup

Way back in high school we had a rogue metal shop teacher, he set us up with plans for small black power canons turned out of 3" round stalk stainless67996799

A group of us snuck 21 canons in to a homecoming foot ball game. A night game, we touched them off as our team came on the field. Talk about a ruckus! A real live 21 gun salute for the home team!!RotflRotflSmiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenana

Jerry. Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(06-18-2012, 09:44 PM)ETC57 Wrote: Tom,

That's great!Thumbsup

Way back in high school we had a rogue metal shop teacher, he set us up with plans for small black power canons turned out of 3" round stalk stainless67996799

A group of us snuck 21 canons in to a homecoming foot ball game. A night game, we touched them off as our team came on the field. Talk about a ruckus! A real live 21 gun salute for the home team!!RotflRotflSmiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenana

Jerry. Popcorn

Those were definitely the days when you could get away with building cannons in shop class. I had a rogue music teacher who allowed me to use a black powder cannon for a piece we were playing called the Civil War Fantasy. This was inside the gymnasium and when I touched it off (electrically of course) it was a LOT louder than anyone, including me Yikes suspected, and it filled the entire gym with smoke. I know he got in some trouble over that but I never found out just how much.

Tom
Thanks given by:
(06-18-2012, 10:33 PM)TomG Wrote: Those were definitely the days when you could get away with building cannons in shop class. I had a rogue music teacher who allowed me to use a black powder cannon for a piece we were playing called the Civil War Fantasy. This was inside the gymnasium and when I touched it off (electrically of course) it was a LOT louder than anyone, including me Yikes suspected, and it filled the entire gym with smoke. I know he got in some trouble over that but I never found out just how much.

Tom

That had to be one of the few school concerts ever worth seeing! Smiley-signs107

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Wow, very nice canon Tom! I like the patina the canon has acquired.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-19-2012, 05:59 PM)EdAK Wrote: Wow, very nice canon Tom! I like the patina the canon has acquired.

Ed

Thanks Ed.

Yes, it's amazing how much wood and metal ages in just 30 years. I polish up the barrel occasionally but leave the rest alone.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Tom

That is a fabulous piece of work, very nicely done Smiley-signs107 Worthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-19-2012, 06:49 PM)DaveH Wrote: Tom

That is a fabulous piece of work, very nicely done Smiley-signs107 Worthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Thanks Dave.

Independence day will be here soon and it will definitely get a thorough workout.

Tom
Thanks given by:
(06-19-2012, 06:59 PM)TomG Wrote: ...Independence day will be here soon and it will definitely get a thorough workout...

Video Tom, we will expect video!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(06-19-2012, 07:07 PM)Mayhem Wrote:
(06-19-2012, 06:59 PM)TomG Wrote: ...Independence day will be here soon and it will definitely get a thorough workout...

Video Tom, we will expect video!

Hey Darren,

There actually will be video. Don't know if you were still around, but I did a little unscientific experiment on the stopping power of various cartridges using old hard drives as targets. I promised Ron that I would nail one with the cannon next time I shot it, complete with video coverage. Of course I expect one from him in return using his .50 BMG. Although it would be hard pressed to do any more damage than a slug from a 12 gauge. Jawdrop

Tom

[Image: 174.JPG]
Thanks given by: