Building The Steven's Favorite
This is the first day I have had time to check out this forum. I joined yesterday I think. I am really pumped up, to find a post of this quality, my first try. Now so much to see, so little time.
bsstan
Thanks given by:
Glad you are enjoying the thread. There is a lot to see around here, just take your time and be sure not to miss anything.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum bsstan. Please post an introduction in the "Introductions" section if you'd like. We don't bite, too hard anyway. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
Back to business. I got a long skinny package in the mail today containing a .203 diameter x 36" long gun drill, so it's time to get serious about this barrel drilling business. Unfortunately, my lathe only has 20" of travel, so it's going to be a two step process. I have an adapter to mount the drill on my tool post left over from an earlier project, but it's probably going to need to be lengthened an inch or two for this drill. There are a few other tasks to accomplish before the drilling starts, such as a guide bushing/chip box to start the drill on center and catch the chips and oil that shoot out of the hole. There also needs to be at least one intermediate support for this flimsy drill and a high pressure pump (800 psi or so) to pump cutting oil through the drill. I found a hydraulic pump for $50 that should work and figure I'd drive it with my mill. Hopefully 2 HP is enough power. Oh yeah, and I also need to make a couple of cat heads for the spindle to hold the barrel.

For a long term solution to this sort of thing I've roughed out a design for a vertical dedicated machine to drill, ream and rifle barrels, but that's another project in itself. Right now I need to finish the Stevens.

Tom

[Image: 006_8.JPG]
Thanks given by:
Hello Tom,

Can we get a few detail shots of the gun drill tip please?

best regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
You're insane Tom, and I love it Rotfl Rotfl
SnailPowered, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2012, 01:50 AM)Rickabilly Wrote: Hello Tom,

Can we get a few detail shots of the gun drill tip please?

best regards
Rick

Better yet Rick, here's a link explaining the entire process in detail. The drill shown in the diagram is exactly the same as mine.

Gundrilling Solutions

Tom
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2012, 02:30 AM)SnailPowered Wrote: You're insane Tom, and I love it Rotfl Rotfl

Thanks! Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom - I know nothing about gunsmith work and the info on the drill was interesting. I did find this bit reassuring though:

"The diameter of the gundrill tip is a closely-held dimension based of the diameter of hole you wish to drill."

I'm guessing this could result in unwanted surprises otherwise!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2012, 07:58 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Thanks Tom - I know nothing about gunsmith work and the info on the drill was interesting. I did find this bit reassuring though:

"The diameter of the gundrill tip is a closely-held dimension based of the diameter of hole you wish to drill."

I'm guessing this could result in unwanted surprises otherwise!

Darren,

The diameter of the initial hole is not super critical because it will be reamed to the final diameter (.218), but it's nice to get it close.

Tom
Thanks given by: