Building The Steven's Favorite
(11-05-2012, 02:35 PM)dallen Wrote: Tom what process or chemicals do you use to blue you work with????

Dallen,

I started playing around with different formulas when I was building my .45 and came across one from a website called Blindhogg made with Nitrate fertilizer. It worked well on a small scale, now I just need to ramp it up to do larger parts. I'm pretty much finished testing and fine tuning the .45 so I will be re-visiting the process soon.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
thanks thats what I been looking for for a while now, had read it before but couldn't find it again.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I had planned to work on the gun drilling set-up over the Christmas break, but the hydraulic pump that I ordered didn't show up on time (it arrived today). Instead, I made a few engineering changes to the tang sight design and finished it up, made the detail drawings and started making it.

The sight is my own design, based on the best features of various sights I found on the internet. It is a flip up design with detents in the up and down position, has a windage adjustment via a thumbwheel, a sliding center to set the elevation and a turn of the peep sight locks everything in position.

[Image: Tang%20Sight%20Assembly.TIF.jpg]

The first part in the cue was the locknut/windage adjustment. It is a simple block with a notch for the windage thumbwheel and a 1/4-36 tapped hole for the peep sight to screw into. I needed to make it first so I could use it as a thread gauge for the matching 1/4-36 thread on the peep sight.

Next in line was the peep sight itself. The the back side of the hood and the threaded shaft was turned first, then it was parted off and held in a collet to turn the cup shaped bore typical to these sights and knurl the outside.

[Image: 328.JPG]

[Image: 329.JPG]

Next comes the sliding mechanism, windage thumbwheel and the frame to hold it all.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Nice work Tom. I don't know what I'm looking at but I do know good craftsmanship when I see it.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ed. It'll make more sense with a few more parts.

Tom
Thanks given by:
nice, you going to niter blue the parts, or use a regular bluing on them?.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Dallen,

The receiver will be color case hardened and the rest nitre blued. I have a mixture of nitrate of soda fertilizer and lye that will be using. It's based on an article from the Blindhogg website. I plan on using the same process on my .45 as well.

Tom
Thanks given by:
(12-29-2012, 09:11 AM)TomG Wrote: Dallen,

The receiver will be color case hardened and the rest nitre blued. I have a mixture of nitrate of soda fertilizer and lye that will be using. It's based on an article from the Blindhogg website. I plan on using the same process on my .45 as well.

Tom
Oh heck, that looks dangerous Jawdrop
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Yup, there's nothing like a 260º solution of salt and lye to hold your undivided attention. Yikes
Thanks given by:
Where's you sense of adventure Dave?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: