Your attention to detail is a credit to you
John

Thanks John. Blush
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Wow! Nice work Tom!

Ed
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2012, 04:44 PM)EdK Wrote: Wow! Nice work Tom!

Ed

Thanks Ed.
Thanks given by:
Some day Tom,Blush

Yes some day I will make an attempt at making screws any kind of screw! Big Grin

but for now I'll just deal with screw ups!RotflRotfl

Very nice work I must say!Smiley-signs107Smiley-eatdrink004

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Hello Tom,
I figured you must have used the taper turning attachment, but thought I'd ask in case there was another easier way I had not considered,

The only other time I have seen wood screws being made the guy used a bespoke thread milling attachment with a curved "cam" that started the thread at a sharp point increasing to a diameter quickly and then tapering to a larger diameter more slowly towards the head of the screw. Ok, so that is really difficult to explain.

Best Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2012, 06:15 PM)ETC57 Wrote: Some day Tom,Blush

Yes some day I will make an attempt at making screws any kind of screw! Big Grin

but for now I'll just deal with screw ups!RotflRotfl

Very nice work I must say!Smiley-signs107Smiley-eatdrink004

Jerry.Popcorn

Thanks Jerry.

Making screws helps you appreciate how you can run into the nearest hardware and buy "most" any shape or size for not much money. Unfortunately most screws used in gunsmithing are quite different than the hardware store variety.

Tom
Thanks given by:
The following installment brings the Steven's build thread up to date. The next task will be to make and fit the extractor and that will complete the internal components.

Tom

A little update on the Steven's: I haven't been making many chips lately but the project has been far from idle. After two re-designs, the link/cam is finally moving the hammer to half cock properly, without binding. That turned out to be a bigger problem than expected because many of the parts in the linkage do double duty and changing one of them can have a significant effect on how the others behave.

I've also been designing a tang sight. It won't be an authentic Steven's design because I don't have access to one for reverse engineering. Instead it will be a blend of different features on various tang sights that I've found across the internet. Elevation adjustment will be made by loosening the threaded eye cup and sliding it to the proper graduation on a vernier scale on the side of the frame. There will also be a windage adjustment via a small dovetail slide in the block that the eye cup mounts to. So far I have the base designed along with the frame, the sliding nut and a first crack at the eye cup/windage adjustment. There are still a few details to work out before the design is complete.

[Image: Stevens%20Favorite%20With%20Sight_1.JPG]

There has also been some progress in figuring out how to drill and rifle the barrel. I've found an inexpensive hydraulic pump to pump the oil through the gun drill, so that problem is solved, but am still waiting for a drill the correct size to show up on eBay. Once it does, and I make a cat head for my lathe, it'll be time to drill the barrel, using the spindle on my mill to drive the oil pump. I've come to the conclusion that it's just not practical to rifle the barrel on my lathe. There is a nice video on Youtube of a guy who built a gear train on his lathe to twist the rifling tool as it passes through the barrel. It looks like it would work very well but I would need to modify my lathe to mount a gear on the saddle hand wheel and I'm not willing to do that. I'll probably end up building some sort of dedicated fixture to do the rifling, so I'll definitely need to make more than one barrel to justify the work.
Thanks given by:
Hey Tom, I'm looking forward to seeing the progress. Especially the drilling set up etc. I have absolutely zero knowledge on gunsmithing, so this is all new to me. One question, what is the purpose of half cocking a rifle?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(07-13-2012, 12:42 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Hey Tom, I'm looking forward to seeing the progress. Especially the drilling set up etc. I have absolutely zero knowledge on gunsmithing, so this is all new to me. One question, what is the purpose of half cocking a rifle?

Hey Darren,

The half cock notch in the hammer has a hook shape to it that traps the sear and keeps the trigger from being pulled. It also raises the hammer off the firing pin so the gun can't fire if the hammer gets bumped. In other words, it serves as a safety.

Thanks for asking.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Hense the term "Going off half cocked". Correct me if Im wrong Tom but don't all guns with hammers have a half cock position.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: