Kondia FV-1 Table/Saddle/Knee/Turret and Ram removal
(11-04-2012, 05:31 AM)Mayhem Wrote: This was especially helpful when the Spanish -> English translation leaves you with a part description "sleeve of conicals". Anyone care to guess what that is?

Cone washers? 17428

[Image: cone%20washer%20aisin.JPG]
Willie
Thanks given by:
I forgot to update this thread with the answer to what the sleeve of conicals is (I must be getting Wruss' disease!) For those still playing along at home, the answer is a conical gear. Some of the other fun translations were elastic ring (circlip) and elastic pin (roll pin).

Yesterday I found some time to clean up the ram, column and base and give it a coat of primer. There was a massive cloud of dust on one side of the ram, where the knuckle attaches. Looks like they were light on the casting here! This part I will fill up to bring it level but I am not too worried about the rest. After all, this is a piece of equipment that will get used, chipped and stained. It is not a show car.

Where has the metal gone?

What it should look like

The previous painter got paint everywhere!

Ready for primer

Primed

I forgot to take progress pics of the column/base but it was much the same. Paint that came off in chunks and a lot of bondo to smooth out the finish. Here it is in primer:

Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Nice Mayhem, very nice Smiley-signs107 Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: Mayhem
It's coming along nicely Darren!

Your pics are making me consider repainting my own mill. I've never been a fan of the odd green color. Sadno

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks Tom - It could be done without stripping it down as far as I have, provided careful masking is done and you don't just paint willy nilly like the last person did!
Thanks given by:
That's really turning out nice Darren. Happyyes

Ed
Looking good! Popcorn
Willie
Hello Darren,
Long time no post, but I have been wondering how the Kondia was getting along.

The thing to remember when you find a huge casting void on an older used machine is that it hasn't worried it till now so just fill it up make it pretty and go from there.

And Having read all the hullabaloo about using tee nuts to lift the table I just had to say I've used tee slots, tee bolts, rope, steel and webbing slings and never had the least bit of worry, keeping in mind that the Kondia table weighs about the same a a complete cast iron v8 engine and these are often lifted by the four 5/16" carburettor mounting studs screwed into an aluminium manifold.

Best Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Hey Rick - good to see you back here!

I ended up sliding the table onto a mobile table I had made previously. I just wound the knee to the right hight and pushed Big Grin

I have filled the void with bog but I have yet to get around to painting it and putting it back together. I contacted Kondia and they were very helpful once I was able to tell them the part numbers I was interested in (it took a while to find the full size image I now have). However, I've had a lot of trouble actually placing an order for the parts. I got this email last week from them:

Dear Darren,
I am very sorry for all of the inconveniences I may have caused you.
I have been involved in too many matters by myself that no time to check and reply to all your emails.
I am in fact on holidays, but when returning you are going to be one of the main matters I will focus my attention on.
I am very sorry although I thought someone else might have replied you.
You will hear from me, I promise you.

I have rebuilt the spindle motor and started putting the top end back together. I'll put together an update soon.
Thanks given by:
The x and y axis nuts were shot and Kondia wanted about US$100 for each nut. I managed to find a complete yoke, with nuts that came out of a Kondia that was converted to CNC on eBay for US$150. The only difference between the two is that the locating pins on mine (Rev. B) are 6mm and the new one (Rev. C) they are 8mm. I will drill and ream the holes in the saddle to take the 8mm pins, as the newer yoke is in much better condition than mine.

I screwed the y axis screw in and the fit is in complete contrast to the old nut.

If you couldn't tell, the new yoke is the blue one.
Thanks given by: