How to Indicate A Vise in Just One pass
I have all ways dun it that way Thumbsup
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(03-13-2014, 04:52 PM)TomG Wrote: They are good, but I prefer an Indicol holder for the knee mill. It can do everything a holder mounted to the head can do, plus swing the indicator to center a hole or tram the head.

Tom

That's what I've used for years.  Bought one when I worked at a tool&die shop shortly after my discharge.  Coupled with my B&S .0005" indicator it has served me well.

I have one issue with the bar.  I have no doubt it can position a vice quite accurately.  However, I really wonder about the amount of wear on the T slot as you'll have to have a tight fit between the portion of the bar set up that mates with the slot. assuming he is using alignment blocks.  If dowel pins are used its a different story.
Thanks given by:
(03-13-2014, 01:19 PM)roundrocktom Wrote: Nice tip.

I finally broke down on bought a Noga holder for the indicator. Oh my it makes like so much nicer.  I went back and bought two more. :)

I 'm liking this mount over the clamp style. Main reason. appears to be easily used with a mill and lathe.

I do question the grip of the magnet. Magnets sandwiched in between two plates are usually on the weak side.... However that could easily be solved, replace it with a drive magnet ... that would do it.

greg
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
Dang and all these years I've been hanging on to the vise and tapping on the mill.

Great idea, many thanks -
randyc
Thanks given by:
Thanks Randy.
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I used this technique to tram the vice on my shaper today; can't claim to have done it in one pass as one pass takes about 1.5 seconds, which I guess would be a little ambitious. I set the stroke to within the length of the vice jaw, started the shaper in low gear and brought the jaw over to the indicator, tapped it until the indicator didn't move (or at least until the needle on the dial didn't move; the indicator actually moved 8" each way 18 times a minute  Big Grin ). Thanks again Tom.

Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Good job Pete. I never considered using the shaper stroke for the dynamic aspect of the procedure. Thumbsup

Tom
Thanks given by:
(06-19-2012, 12:30 PM)TomG Wrote: Here's a little video I made showing how to indicate a milling vise in just one pass.

Tom

Thank you Tom, for such a simple relatively elegant solution for the tramming.
best regards, from
john aka castellated nut.
Thanks given by:
Thumbsup
Thanks given by: