How to Indicate A Vise in Just One pass
I've seen Tom's video on this previously, and have been using it ever since on regular machine vices. (I don't own a swivel base.)

I'm happy to report it works equally well with a standard vice.
One of the best machining tips I have ever gotten!

Bravo Tom. Worthy

Willie
Willie
Thanks given by:
a good post Smile
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(06-19-2012, 09:17 PM)TomG Wrote:
(06-19-2012, 09:03 PM)DanH Wrote: So if you don't have a swivel base (or don't have it installed) will this technique still work? Could you have the vice swivel about one of the lock down bolts? It looks so easy on the video that if I had to I could just about talk myself into buying the swivel base for my vise.

Great "how to" thanks.
Dan

Thanks Dan.

I don't know how well it will work without a swivel base, I've always had them on my vises. Why don't you try it out and let us know? It sounds like it might work leaving one bolt loose.

Tom

Tom,

I tried it last night and it worked great. Thanks again for the tip.

Dan
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
Tom,

Brilliant Smiley-signs107 Worthy
Terrific idea Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
That is as good as an Easy Button! Thanks Tom!
Ken
An old tired/retired/wanna-be machinist. Cool
Thanks given by:
Chin
(07-23-2012, 07:06 PM)NevadaBlue Wrote: That is as good as an Easy Button! Thanks Tom!

Thanks Ken, I'm glad you liked it. It's been a while since I've done any videos, maybe it's about time for a new one. Chin

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
One of these days I have to get a video camera. That's all there is to it. Lookout Youtube then!
Thanks given by:
(07-23-2012, 08:26 PM)Tony Wells Wrote: One of these days I have to get a video camera. That's all there is to it. Lookout Youtube then!

Tony,

I seriously doubt you could do anything to YouTube that hasn't already been done, but it is a lot of fun making your own movies.

Tom
Thanks given by:
I tried it yesterday. The problem I'm having is that my needle runs true for part of the way, and then moves. And sometimes it seems to work fine, but when I go the other way, it's way off. So it's one of two things, to my mind: either the jaw is not truly flat, or my indicator (Starrett Last Word) is sticking. Both the indicator and the vise are eBay purchases.

If I remove the jaw, is the vise body accurate enough to work from? If it's the indicator, can it be serviced economically enough to make it worthwhile? Or should I be looking for a new one?
Thanks given by:
Put the indicator against the side of your table and run it back and forth. It's sounds like the gibs in the table may be loose or worn. Also try rocking the table by hand, deflection should be minimal. If it's the vise jaw you would get the same reading regardless of which way you feed it. If it's the indicator sticking, you should be able to see it moving the stylus by hand.

Tom
Thanks given by: