How to Square Up Stock on the Milling Machine
Here's a little video I made showing how I square up stock on the milling machine.

Tom

[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: Highpower
Tom,

Nicely shown. I think that is the clearest demonstration I've seen on squaring up stock.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Tom,

Great video - thanks Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
a good post Smile
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Tom
Good video
Nice and clear to followSmiley-signs107
John
Thanks given by:
Excellent video and I now know I've been running my mill to slow!
Thanks given by:
nice post excellent instructions. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys.

November: To calculate proper RPM, multiply the cutting speed of the material by four (approximately 100 surface feet per minute for mild steel and 250 surface feet per minute for aluminum or brass) and divide by the diameter of the work (or the tool in case of a mill).

For example: In the video I'm cutting aluminum with a 1/2" end mill. The proper RPM is 4 X 250 / .500 = 2000. If I was cutting mild steel it would be 4 X 100 / .500 = 800

Tom
Thanks given by:
We're going to have to start calling you "TubalG". Big Grin

Great video, even I can follow it.

I have one question though, (my ignorance not a deficiency of the vid) and that is how one "zeros" the depth of the cutter. You've already gotten the sides square. Now you put the piece back in the vise to cut it down to size (measures at 1.095" and you want it at 1.000"). How do you set the cutter/"Z axis" (I'm assuming the knee instead of the quill) so that it's at zero for the 1.095" piece?

Hope that made some kind of sense.

Thanks much,

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
(06-23-2012, 02:57 PM)ScrapMetal Wrote: We're going to have to start calling you "TubalG". Big Grin

Great video, even I can follow it.

I have one question though, (my ignorance not a deficiency of the vid) and that is how one "zeros" the depth of the cutter. You've already gotten the sides square. Now you put the piece back in the vise to cut it down to size (measures at 1.095" and you want it at 1.000"). How do you set the cutter/"Z axis" (I'm assuming the knee instead of the quill) so that it's at zero for the 1.095" piece?

Hope that made some kind of sense.

Thanks much,

-Ron

I'm not going to run with the "even I can follow it" comment since Bill has been doing such a good job of it on the lapping arbor thread. Big Grin

When you flip the part and mill the opposite side, just set the dial on your Z axis to zero. Then you can take the part out, measure it, put it back in the vise and it will be in the same position as before, assuming you hammer it down on the parallels. I like to set the dial to whatever I have to take off so I don't forget the number, but that's just me.

Tom
Thanks given by: Highpower