Machining an AR15 lower receiver
(06-21-2012, 10:30 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Smiley-signs009

I have heard that the hard coat anodizing requires the parts to be slightly under sized, to allow for the thickness of the coat. I'm curious as to ho this affected (if at all) your build.

I had heard that as well Darren. But after researching it a bit, most of what I read stated that half of the conversion was below the surface and half was on top of the surface. I saw numbers between .0005" to .002" for the depth of the change. So I took a leap of faith and made a SWAG, and cut the internal walls .001" over the specs I had.

I got REAL lucky because it turned out to be spot on. Had another shop done the anodizing, it might have been totally different - I don't know. I think a great deal depends on the amount of current used and the length of time they spend in the tank.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Hey Willie.

Sorry to bring that up, I thought it might have been resolved. I don't have that much experience with hardcoat, but I wouldn't have thought it possible that it would chip off like that.

Nice one on the 100% function. I'm still hanging on to that myself with my 1911. Got about 600 rounds through it so far and still no jams.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(06-22-2012, 06:28 AM)TomG Wrote: Hey Willie.

Sorry to bring that up, I thought it might have been resolved. I don't have that much experience with hardcoat, but I wouldn't have thought it possible that it would chip off like that.

Nice one on the 100% function. I'm still hanging on to that myself with my 1911. Got about 600 rounds through it so far and still no jams.

Tom

Hey it's no problem Tom. I would never have thought it possible either. It is what it is. But I guarantee you, I'll be using a different anodizing company from now on. Bleh

I'm not all that worried about it anyway because this thing will be used as a plinker and for training junior shooters before they move up into a center fire rifle. It's going to get banged up and scratched anyway. If it start to get too ugly, there's always Cerakote.... Big Grin

I'm just pickled tink that it runs without stoppages - because these rimfire conversions can be a real headache in that area. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good! Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie,
Fabulous piece of work - very nice machining Smiley-signs107 Worthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
i DO NOT THINK LUCK HAD MUCH TO DO WITH IT just excellent and careful work. Very impressive. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
(06-21-2012, 09:58 PM)Highpower Wrote: [Image: BottomSerial1.jpg] [Image: Serial1.jpg]

WorthyWorthyWorthy you made a cracking job of the machining ,Willie Smiley-signs107

Rob
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys. She's not perfect, but hopefully the next one will be. Blush

The funny thing is other guys at the range will often come up to me asking about it, because they aren't familiar with the rimfire conversions. I always ask them if they would like to shoot it, and I've never been turned down yet. Big Grin

And what is the one thing they comment on the most????
The nice trigger break? - No.
The accuracy? - No.
The smooth function? - No.

The serial number..... 0001 Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
This is the kind of thing that makes me sad though. Bad internet advice. This poor guy was convinced by someone else on another forum that he could successfully do this kind of work with nothing more than a bench top drill press and a Dremel tool. Bash

[Image: 1229112009.jpg]

[Image: 1230111904.jpg]

[Image: 100_1456.jpg]

[Image: 100_1458.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
Ah well, one does have to admire his spirit. Thumbsup

I bet Bob (krv3000) with just a file and a hacksaw could do it Popcorn
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
He does take nice pictures. Rolleyes

I wonder how many receivers the guy who talked him into it has done?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: