A Carriage Stop for the Atlas Lathe
Tom,

Very similar to the one I made except the front is more rounded and you made the nut fancier, which was my original plan but got lazy. If I were to make another one I would make it more rounded like you did. The screw is identical to mine right down to the same 7/16-20 thread. Great minds think alike. Big Grin

http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=49

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-22-2012, 03:58 PM)EdAK Wrote: Tom,

Very similar to the one I made except the front is more rounded and you made the nut fancier, which was my original plan but got lazy. If I were to make another one I would make it more rounded like you did. The screw is identical to mine right down to the same 7/16-20 thread. Great minds think alike. Big Grin

http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=49

Ed

Ed,

I don't know if it's great minds or form following function. The thread pitch drives the number of graduations on the thimble and 50 sounds so...even.

I do like the locking handle and especially the hammertone paint on yours. All it needs is an antenna.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(06-22-2012, 04:33 PM)TomG Wrote: The thread pitch drives the number of graduations on the thimble and 50 sounds so...even.

Tom

Tom,

That's exactly why I chose that thread. Some day I'll make a new nut with the graduations on it but it's functional as is so that project is way down on the list.

Ed
Thanks given by:
When Tom posted this elsewhere I was in need of one. Using his prints then I came up with this one for my 9X20. It also uses a 7/16-20 thread.

"Billy G" Thumbsup

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
I sure like this design. Maybe I will have a crack at it one day.

Is the ball & spring meant to eliminate backlash by pushing the thimble to the left against the notch face in the body?

So the threaded spindle rod is not clamped down in any way after adjusting right? It stays in position under vibration/bumps just by setting the thimble?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

petertha, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
(10-25-2012, 07:39 PM)petertha Wrote: I sure like this design. Maybe I will have a crack at it one day.

Is the ball & spring meant to eliminate backlash by pushing the thimble to the left against the notch face in the body?

So the threaded spindle rod is not clamped down in any way after adjusting right? It stays in position under vibration/bumps just by setting the thimble?

Thanks! It will be a fun project for you to tackle with many different machining techniques to apply.

The spring/ball is just to provide a bit of drag on the thimble so it doesn't move with use.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Billy,
Looks good Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: