lapping arbor
Since I've been banned from the premier site for the machine arts I guess I'm forced to post this here. I'm having trouble truing a pair of flywheels for a 53 Indian Chief motor I'm building so I'm following the instruction of an old pro that suggested that I lap the tapered bores of the flywheels to correct any imperfections. The following is the process that I followed.
Thanks given by:
I used an old crankpin as "donor" arbor. Using a 1/8" aluminum oxide disc I ground reliefs around the pin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
another angle

Thanks given by:
The arbor set up in the lathe.

Thanks given by:
I turned down a simple bushing out aluminum and pressed an MT2 arbor into it to stick into the tailstock. This will be the press that forces the flywheel into the lapping arbor.

Note: the lapping arbor is coated with a grinding compound.

Thanks given by:
The flywheel in position to be lapped. The bushing & taper should keep it aligned properly.

Thanks given by:
Being totally in the dark here could you please elaborate a little more on what you are trying to accomplish. I have no knowledge of the Indian Motorcycle other then they were made. The pictures are awesome.

"Billy G" 17428
Thanks given by:
The lap in your set up will tend to follow the tapered bore rather than correct it's misalignment. It looks like this lapping operation is normally done on a vertical mill with the spindle being dead perpendicular to the table. I don't know if you've seen this site, but here's a guy demonstrating it:

Cannonball and the Beast

There is also a ton of other info on flywheel alignment on the site.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
The motor is a v-twin flathead similar to what you see in today's modern Harley-Davidson. Both connecting rods ride on a common crankpin that spins between two flywheels. These flywheels turn on 2 pins called a drive & and a pinion pin. The whole thing is bolted together and before assembled in the cases need to be true in a truing stand. The same as putting a shaft on centers in a lathe. The shafts are the persuaded to run true with a lead hammer. Hopefully this explains what's going on.
Thanks given by:
(06-22-2012, 08:12 PM)TomG Wrote: The lap in your set up will tend to follow the tapered bore rather than correct it's misalignment. It looks like this lapping operation is normally done on a vertical mill with the spindle being dead perpendicular to the table. I don't know if you've seen this site, but here's a guy demonstrating it:

Cannonball and the Beast

There is also a ton of other info on flywheel alignment on the site.

Tom

I have and the problem with it that he indicates the bore of the taper but then does not fixed the wheel to the table. It's allowed to wander and seek it's own true.
Thanks given by: