How to Mill a Pocket on the Vertical Milling Machine
Here's a video showing how to mill a square or rectangular pocket in a part on the vertical mill.

Tom

[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom. I was going to ask if there was a reason the part wasn't centred in the vice and then I figured that it was to enable you to locate the bottom edge.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Another great video Tom.

I have a question to ask. You were working on a rather thin piece of stock there, but I was wondering if you always use a climb milling approach when cutting a pocket like that? What about with thicker material and cutting a deep pocket?

I was just thinking about the guys that may own a round column mill-drill or similar machine, and how that might affect them? Your thoughts?

Willie
Willie
Thanks given by:
(06-23-2012, 10:28 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Thanks Tom. I was going to ask if there was a reason the part wasn't centred in the vice and then I figured that it was to enable you to locate the bottom edge.

Hey Darren,

Yup. Either some jaw or some part needs to be showing to pick up with the edge finder.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom - If the part was smaller, would you find the front (Y) edge and then relocate closer to the centre of the vise and then then locate the side (X)? Or would this introduce error (assuming the vise is dialled in)?
Thanks given by:
(06-23-2012, 10:53 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Thanks Tom - If the part was smaller, would you find the front (Y) edge and then relocate closer to the centre of the vise and then then locate the side (X)? Or would this introduce error (assuming the vise is dialled in)?

I like to center small parts if possible because the vise will grip them more evenly and there's less chance of them moving. If they can't be centered for some reason, I use a jack screw or a spacer between the other ends of the jaws for support. Moving the part around would be fine, but it seems like an extra step to me.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Keep the video's coming I for one have never used a mill before and have lots to learn before doing too muuch on my RF45 clone. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Hi
Tom
Another great video DroolDrool
Thanks for taking the time to post it Big GrinBig Grin
Keep them coming
John
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys.

That's it for the videos for now, at least until I get some more inspiration. I was thinking of doing one on hand sharpening twist drills.

Tom
Thanks given by:
(06-24-2012, 08:36 AM)TomG Wrote: ...That's it for the videos for now, at least until I get some more inspiration...

What? Are we not inspiring enough?
Thanks given by: