Storage Building
Ya "help".
I love it when my SWMBO says Why don't "we" renovate the (insert horrendous task of your choice here).Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Steve mentioned buzzsaw, so we wonder off topic. Was at a forestry equipment show Friday, LOTS of neat stuff. Almost countless Firewood processors , mostly big and in the 40- 50000 dollar range with 50+ Hp diesel engines. Doesn't add up the biggest commercial saw you can get is probably 6 or 7 hp the same power will run a splitter, so where did the other 36 or more hp go. Poor hydraulic design is my guess, But there was one small one there with a 13 hp Honda running it, no where near the output of the big ones but Brilliant (and I don't use the term lightly) design. Instead of a hydraulic drive on the chain saw bar he'd used a V-belt with a tensioner. Probably 80-90 % efficiency instead of maybe 50 % using a hydraulic pump, hoses valves, and motor. And not even a fraction of the cost. Another project to add to the list.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(06-24-2012, 01:26 PM)stevec Wrote: Ya "help".
I love it when my SWMBO says Why don't "we" renovate the (insert horrendous task of your choice here).Rotfl

Aaagh! Just thinking of that gives me the shivers. Sweat I just got done with that (I hope!). It started out with, "We need to do something with the kitchen...". It quickly spread to the whole dang house. Bash I'm getting worried again as she is making some noises about the basement so I'm trying to distract her with a "cleaning out the garage" maneuver. Angel

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Well the dock is done. Worked out quite well, Jim happened along in his boat just as WE were starting. Stayed for the duration, even went home and brought back 3 plastic barrels for extra buoyancy.
Of course the chief inspector Saddie was there.

[Image: IMG_0040.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
I always take a sprocket and burn it in half and wrap the chain around it as an anchor point. If it's welded to the frame, the load is spread over several links. The last link can be pinned or welded in place. The sprocket needn't be too large.
Thanks given by:
(06-24-2012, 10:26 PM)Tony Wells Wrote: I always take a sprocket and burn it in half and wrap the chain around it as an anchor point. If it's welded to the frame, the load is spread over several links. The last link can be pinned or welded in place. The sprocket needn't be too large.

I gotta fess-up Tony, I have absolutely no idea what that means.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(06-25-2012, 08:23 AM)stevec Wrote:
(06-24-2012, 10:26 PM)Tony Wells Wrote: I always take a sprocket and burn it in half and wrap the chain around it as an anchor point. If it's welded to the frame, the load is spread over several links. The last link can be pinned or welded in place. The sprocket needn't be too large.

I gotta fess-up Tony, I have absolutely no idea what that means.

I'm guessing it either has to do with the chainsaw or the dog... Chin

Rotfl

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
I believe Tony was referring to the swing system on the backhoe. I used to have an old ford 4555 backhoe and it had a similar system with the swing cylinders mounted splayed to a chain and a half sprocket. It worked okay but it was so worn out you had to stop swinging about 5 feet early before the bucket quit moving.
Thanks given by:
An example of the breakout strength and lift this little hoe has.
[Image: IMG_0043.jpg]

After I got the rock out of the hole had a hard time pushing it out of the way.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Been too hot to be at this but looks like its not cooling down so we're back at it. Got the footings for the posts poured and the lumber arrives Monday.

[Image: IMG_0057.jpg]

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-E4RR8...G_0058.jpg

Took 30 bags of that pre blended mix. Had 1980 pounds on my poor little Ranger pickup.
Greg
Thanks given by: