Storage Building
Had a hand this aft and got the one side sheeted.

[Image: IMG_0093.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0092.jpg]

Starting to look more like a building.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Looking good Greg
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Nice work Greg,
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Finally making progress again. Lost last week cleaning up my place and helping neighbours after a wind storm. The good news there is the offers for logs are already rolling in. Micro burst, a lot of big timber down. Then took a short pause this week to start filling the shed, bought another boat, a man can never have too many, if we include the canoe and the zodiac we're currently at 6. Yes a couple have to go.
Anyway got the steel on the roof, less the ridge cap, should be water tight tomorrow morn.

[Image: IMG_0098.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg looks just excellent!! Nice work, and a great storage area.

No micro burst here tonight but just got a heavy downpour, along with some very close lightning that was deafening whatever it hit.
What height do you have for clearance now to drive in there?
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Nice work Greg.

Initially I had thought you were just going to use the chipboard, which I thought was a little strange - but assumed you were going to coat it with something. Is it usual practise to board first and then sheet with steel?

Here, we would just fix the steel sheeting directly to the roofing frame.

Either way the result is the same and you should be pleased with your efforts.
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys,
Should have about 8 1/2 foot under the beam once I get a layer of gravel down. Right now it slopes slightly to close to 9 feet on the left.
That was the norm here too, strapping the rafters then the steel but apparently code for a house now calls for sheeting and tar paper. Apparently they were having trouble with condensation forming at night on the inside and dripping on the insulation. Would have been fine strapping this but it was cheaper to sheet it with chip board than buy lumber for strapping, with 2 foot centers on the rafters would have needed 2 inch strapping. Nicer to walk on the full sheeted roof than try to step on the straps anyway.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Thanks Greg, I figured there must have been a reason and the money saved can go toward more tools!
Thanks given by:
It's always interesting to hear about building codes and methods in different parts of the world, things that make sense in Australia just don't in Canada, Europe or parts of the US.

Earlier on I think Darren assumed, as did I that you would just use a flat roof construction, in Australia it just would never cross one's mind to use anything but a flat roof on this sort of building, when I first came to the UK I was talking to a roofer, about a building that we were involved with planning, we had done three of them in Oz and the plan was to do another here, in Oz we had already had twelve years out of the first one and it still looked like new but the roofer kept saying "oh, yeah you can use that $%^& if you want to but it'll rust through in a couple of years, so I questioned a little further and soon realised that what we know as sheet steel roofing varies wildly across the world as does the climate and the painted steel sheet I had specified wasn't Gavanised under the paint and the extra condensation under the sheet due to the snow cover and more extreme cold (not really extreme only snow for a week or so a year) would have readily attacked the areas where the paint was cracked due to the screw holes.
In short when you travel take note of what the locals do no matter how good you think you are.

Locally to me now, we have a lot of thatched cottages and that is one type of roofing that always amazes me, It wouldn't last five minutes in Oz, reeds tied down with string, where I grew up it would almost guarantee your house burning down each year due to bush fires, both the natural kind and the arsonists would mean a load of insurance claims.
But they are just so dern purdy those little storybook cottages, with Cob walls or Tudor "ship beam" contruction, where I grew up Tudor Styled meant asbestos sheeted bungalows with dark brown painted strips of timber tacked on covering the joins Smiley-signs107

I lived in a Hotel in Sussex for about six months in the mid 2000s (Naughties?) it was about five hundred years old and was all built out of old naval ship timbers apparently, the ridgeline dipped about 18 inches in the middle and all the walls were bellied one way or another, it looked like something out of the Lord of the Rings movies, but I have no doubt it'll be there in another five hundred years, at about the same time a friend in Oz was buying a house and the surveyors report made a huge fuss over one of the walls being out of square and the ridgeline dipping an inch or two, I have no doubt that this was serious given the construction methods used but the contrast was stark and has stayed with me.

Sorry to hijack the thread, babbling on about this, but it is of interest to me so I figure maybe so to others as well.

Best Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Those metal roofs are the only way to go.

Many many new and old buildings are now being sheeted with metal,, the ashpalt shigles just do not last anymore.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by: