Storage Building
Looking great Greg,Thumbsup

over by where I work a guy built a building similar to what you have going up, but he went up a full second story with an A frame structure and made a full office on top. 6799

You could here the city building inspector coming uncorked clear across the street,( wheres your building permit!RantRant) but because he started with 2 20' sea cans and no foundation the structure is considered a temporary shed and therefor no permit required! RotflRotflRotfl

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the comments guys. Ron good point on the gutter, will run one across the front, the hill drops off right at the back so it wont be an issue.
Galvanized steel on the roof, was going to strap it but its cheaper to sheet it with chipboard. Nicer to walk on too if you ever have to get up there.
Finished the trusses today, next are the ladders and facia.

[Image: IMG_0089.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg, are you getting help with this or do you actually step into a phonebooth to change into your costume? Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Well I get moral support from the dog, does that count? My buddy has family visiting so he's been tied up, hopefully will be available to handle the steel not sure if I can get them up there without bending them.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(07-19-2012, 09:13 AM)f350ca Wrote: ...My buddy has family visiting so he's been tied up...

Careful Greg, this is a family rated site after all Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Re: Getting the steel sheets up onto the roof:

That loader on the Kubota will do that, put the roof sheets on the forks,, just pick a day when there is no wind!! Lol
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
(07-18-2012, 06:46 PM)ETC57 Wrote: Looking great Greg,Thumbsup

over by where I work a guy built a building similar to what you have going up, but he went up a full second story with an A frame structure and made a full office on top. 6799

You could here the city building inspector coming uncorked clear across the street,( wheres your building permit!RantRant) but because he started with 2 20' sea cans and no foundation the structure is considered a temporary shed and therefor no permit required! RotflRotflRotfl

Jerry.Popcorn

more then one way to skin an inspectorBig GrinBig Grin
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Not to Hi jack gregs thread here, but regarding these sea containers,

About 50 miles or so south of me, They have just constructed an apartment building by using the sea containers, stacked i think three high, or maybe it is two high, anyway i think there are around six rental apartments in them, they staggered the containers, welded together i believe, and it was finally approved by the building code here, the pic i saw, they looked like a usual apartment building, pretty nicely finished inside.

This is i think in Gregs area, maybe he could elaborate a bit on this if he sees fit.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Hello All,
I think I mentioned before that when I used to travel all over the world doing Alternate fuel R&D and testing we decided I needed a machine shop for when modifications needed to be done on the spot, rather than continually flying pieces back to Australia, so we insulated and lined out a 20'er and fitted it out with my 9 x 20" lathe an RF45 mill a good solid bench, cast iron marking table a small hydraulic press, Mig, Tig and stick welders and a good range of hand tools and materials, all of this fit into the first 4' when in transport "mode" which left 16' for the equipment that was being tested, the whole thing was run off of a 3 KVa genset so could be used any where, quite often in the test facility carpark. just add Petrol / Gasoline. I did about 200,000 miles with that "Box" and made everything from fuel injectors to inlet manifolds and ECUs in her. Ahh, the good ole days. During long days 18 hours plus on some test schedules, when I had a bit of downtime, I would even have a little Nap in there Blush
As a result I have a great emotional response to shipping containers used in interesting ways,
Best Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Tried the "Its not on a foundation thing with the building inspector" didn't fly apparently in this county maybe province you have to get a building permit to move them onto your property, they're considered buildings as soon as they hit the ground.
Sasquatch, don't worry about hijacking a thread about buildings on a metal forum. Have seen stories of other houses/apartments built out of containers but not around here, can you remember where, would be interesting to go see.
Its the old need a bigger tractor story, the forks only go up about 7 feet. Will help get the sheets up there but will still need to do some man handling.
In he oilfield you'd see lots of containers modified for everything from shops to emergency response units. They'd usually weld I beam skids down the length so they could be winched on and off trailers or bed trucks.
Well beter get out there and at it.
Greg
Thanks given by: