Repairing a Rigid Bandsaw
I have a 14" Rigid bandsaw that I converted to metal cutting by using a jackshaft reduction pulley setup to slow down the blade speed. This setup has worked great for several years until I was cutting some material and released that the blade wasn't tracking properly. I tried to adjust the tracking but no adjustment seemed to have an effect. I decided to take it apart to see what was the problem and discovered that the adjust block for the upper wheel that controls blade tension and tracking was broken. The block is made up of an aluminum casting that was not up to the task. Here is what it looked like.

I checked on line for a replacement part and found the assembly for $19 but back ordered to the manufacturer with no estimated deliverly date so I decided to make my own. I used some scrap steel I had on hand and will reuse the main shaft and pivot pins.

The main bracket is made out of 3/4" plate and 1" square tube for the spring pocket.

The tube was tig welded to the main bracket. The bracket already has a pocket machined for the tracking arm and the pivot holes drilled and reamed.

A boss is added for the adjusting screw using round bar with a flat milled on it.

The bracket rides in a slot on the saw frame so a flange is milled on the bracket.

Next is to make the adhusting arm
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
NICE work so far Dan! Smiley-eatdrink004

Those are some real pretty weld beads you've laid down there.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you've done this before. Big Grin

Keep us up to date.

Willie
Willie
Thanks given by:
Nice looking work Dan!Smiley-signs107

Keep us posted! Drool

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
nice work
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Dan,
Looking good Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-24-2012, 11:06 PM)Highpower Wrote: NICE work so far Dan! Smiley-eatdrink004

Those are some real pretty weld beads you've laid down there.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you've done this before. Big Grin

Keep us up to date.

Willie

Thanks for the complement. That is the kind of job the Tig is made for. I am no expert but I do get lucky some times.Smile
Thanks given by:
Thanks you guys.

The project is actually finished except for paint. I installed the assembly in the band saw and other than needing to add a washer to keep the wheel from rubbing on the cover it works great. I have to remove it from the saw to paint so I can then get some pics of the finished product. I got in a hurry when making the pivot bar but you can see it in the finished assembly. I was able to use my new boring head to bore the hole for the main shaft. There were a lot of personal machining firsts for me and I learned a ton.

I'll try to get the rest of the pictures up this week.

DanH
Thanks given by: