My Next Project - Meister 2 Axis DRO for my Lathe
I just took delivery of a Meister 2 Axis DRO for my 10x22 Lathe. I'm excited to finally have a DRO on my lathe. I've had good service from my Meister 3 axis DRO on my mill so I went with them again. I'll document the install for anyone that is interested. You might notice that the compound scale is extra small. They call these micro scales. It is a glass scale.

henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
I'm interested in seeing this Henry. Just one question: is there any reason you are not installing one on the z axis? From what you have said/shown it looks like cross slide and compound are getting scales.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Darren,

(06-25-2012, 10:56 PM)henryarnold Wrote: I just took delivery of a Meister 2 Axis DRO for my 10x22 Lathe.

Those look about right for a saddle and cross slide to me for that size lathe. Chin

Willie
Willie
Thanks given by:
I was thinking that too Willie, until I read:

(06-25-2012, 10:56 PM)henryarnold Wrote: ...You might notice that the compound scale is extra small...

Perhaps saddle and compound only - no cross slide?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
OK Henry, spill the beans. We can't take the suspense!

Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
That was likely a slip of the tongue and he meant cross slide instead of compound. It would be a strange combination otherwise but I'm sure he'll fill us in.

Ed
Thanks given by:
They look about the right size for that lathe, remember it's 22 between centres, but that doesn't mean the carriage travels that far. My 900mm centre lathe only has a carriage travel of around 760mm.

I fitted a MS5 micro scale to my compound around 5-6 years ago and it's doing fine, I know yours is going on the cross slide but they are just as strong and reliable as the standard size ones.

Look forward to your pictures.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Dave,

I'm going to show my ignorance here, but what's the scale on the compound used for? Or put another way, what type of operation would benefit from having a scale on the compound?

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed
In my opinion the compound is useless unless you have a scale on it. You align the compound to the bed, then sum the compound and carriage scales. When machining to a shoulder or facing the compound acts as a fine feed. The head on my Colchester simply sums them but you can unplug the compound scale and just read the carriage movement, the Fagor on my Summit lathe allows you to see the sum, the compound or the carriage. On the Summit the carriage weighs a few hundred pounds, hard to move it 1 or 2 thou at a shoulder, but the compound makes it easy. Threading or cutting tapers with the compound are about the only time it ever gets moved.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(06-26-2012, 12:49 PM)f350ca Wrote: Ed
In my opinion the compound is useless unless you have a scale on it. You align the compound to the bed, then sum the compound and carriage scales. When machining to a shoulder or facing the compound acts as a fine feed. The head on my Colchester simply sums them but you can unplug the compound scale and just read the carriage movement, the Fagor on my Summit lathe allows you to see the sum, the compound or the carriage. On the Summit the carriage weighs a few hundred pounds, hard to move it 1 or 2 thou at a shoulder, but the compound makes it easy. Threading or cutting tapers with the compound are about the only time it ever gets moved.
Greg,

Ah, I did not know about the summing feature. Now I can see where it could be very useful. Thanks for the information. Cool

Ed
Thanks given by: