My Next Project - Meister 2 Axis DRO for my Lathe
Ok Henry, I'm ready Smiley-dancenana
Smiley-eatdrink004
Dave
Thanks given by:
Sorry guys. I meant carriage and cross slide not compound. The carriage moves 22" and the cross slide has about 6.5" of travel. I don't think I could fit a glass type scale on the compound. This lathe is small.
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
Hi Ed,
Most of the cheaper DRO's like the Meister, Sino etc have the option of summing or not at the push of a button. The carriage hand wheel is not much good for fine feeding so this is where the compound scale shines.
I always lock up the carriage and dial in the last bit with the compound for facing etc.

Saying that you don't need the compound one for setting tapers with the DRO as thats done with just the carriage and cross slide scales.

For people without a mill and using the lathe compound as a milling attachment, the compound scale would make milling easier as well.

Dave
Thanks given by:
(06-27-2012, 07:26 AM)Dave J Wrote: Hi Ed,
Most of the cheaper DRO's like the Meister, Sino etc have the option of summing or not at the push of a button. The carriage hand wheel is not much good for fine feeding so this is where the compound scale shines.
I always lock up the carriage and dial in the last bit with the compound for facing etc.

Saying that you don't need the compound one for setting tapers with the DRO as thats done with just the carriage and cross slide scales.

For people without a mill and using the lathe compound as a milling attachment, the compound scale would make milling easier as well.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to check my DRO manual and see if it has the summing function. Sounds like it could be useful.

Ed
Thanks given by:
The Sino has it but only when you select lathe mode.
My Meister is a lathe and mill readout (XPOS3) and has a button for it on the front panel.

Dave
Thanks given by:
I checked the manual and my DRO Pros has it. There's even a button dedicated to the summing function. At least now I know what that button is for. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
Henry,

Any new progress on the lathe DRO installation?

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2012, 09:18 AM)EdK Wrote: Henry,

Thanks,
Ed

Ed,

I finished here.
http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=568
I've been using my lathe a lot and the DRO is great. I never solved the problem of locking the cross slide but I have devised a way to add a lock which I will eventually add. I'm still glad I didn't put the scale on left side of the carriage. I decided not to gather my posts into a PDF since there were enough doubts about how I installed the cross slide scale. I don't want to steer anyone down the wrong path.

Henry Arnold
Thanks given by:
(10-14-2012, 11:10 PM)henryarnold Wrote:
(10-12-2012, 09:18 AM)EdK Wrote: Henry,

Thanks,
Ed

Ed,

I finished here.
I've been using my lathe a lot and the DRO is great. I never solved the problem of locking the cross slide but I have devised a way to add a lock which I will eventually add. I'm still glad I didn't put the scale on left side of the carriage. I decided not to gather my posts into a PDF since there were enough doubts about how I installed the cross slide scale. I don't want to steer anyone down the wrong path.

Henry Arnold

Hi Henry,

Sorry about that. I realized after the fact that you had finished it in another thread. Blush

Ed
Thanks given by:
See

for the installation of a DRO on a small lathe
Thanks given by: