New furnace build
you may want to think about making that lid a lift an swing affair, so you don't have all the heat that the lid will soak up looking you in the face when you open the lid

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2012, 06:30 PM)dallen Wrote: you may want to think about making that lid a lift an swing affair, so you don't have all the heat that the lid will soak up looking you in the face when you open the lid
DA
This sounds sensible to me, any ideas how I can convert what I have (links to similar?) as this already has a fair bit of time Blush and money thrown at it Slaphead

(07-03-2012, 04:19 PM)RobWilson Wrote: Hi Andy Smiley-signs107
Looking good
What you planning on casting?
Rob
I started this project as I was going to make a shaper, but I now have one ( 3 phase, not yet working) but I do want to make some pulleys and would like to build some steam(air) engine parts and this looks a good way to do some of it Rotfl
Andy Popcorn

b4dyc, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012. Oh yeah
Thanks given by:
Andy - Google will be your friend in terms of looking at other designs. In fact, there are probably lots of YouTube videos out there that will be of help. Please report back with what you find, as I haven't got to the lid design stage on mine yet!!!!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Hi Andy

You could just have a look at the rest of the casting section of this forum before you reach for google.
http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthrea...320#pid320
Rob
Thanks given by:
Bugger! I forgot about your furnace build Rob. Have a look Andy - the way to build your lid mechanism is just a click away!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Hi
This is mine in action
It is very similar to Robs just a bit smaller
The swing lid is the best way to go
http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=80
John
Thanks given by:
Thanks all!
Looks as if I can see a way to build a lift mechanism now, just hope I don`t have to muck up my existing work. 6799
Guess I need leave those parts a while to dry out a bit before I start tinkering and then welding bits onto my existing brackets Chin
Andy Popcorn

b4dyc, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012. Oh yeah
Thanks given by:
Andy,

Looking good so far, thanks for the updates!Big Grin

Jerry. Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: