Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe
(07-29-2012, 12:52 PM)EdK Wrote:
(07-29-2012, 11:44 AM)henryarnold Wrote: Try refresh when your reach the page. It worked for me. I couldn't come up with a URL that worked directly from this page.

Henry,

I tried the refresh trick a number of times and it still wouldn't work. I then copied the link and pasted it into IE and it worked. So it seems Firefox has trouble displaying the page but IE does not.

Quote:I need to learn PHP.

So do I. I have a book but just no time to dig into it.

Ed

I thought removing the "#" at the end helped but it did not. I tried a few other things that did not work. I think you are correct. Going to the link, copying it, and then repasting it seems to work.

I also have to learn Python. I currently have a project where it is assumed that I already know how to create Python Classes. Oh Boy Slaphead
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
(07-29-2012, 12:44 PM)henryarnold Wrote: I also forgot to mention that because my lathe is a 10" instead of a 12", my cross slide is too short to fully contain the cross slide scale. Without a backing plate, the scale would hang out unprotected on each end of the cross slide. The backing plate and cover provide protection to the scale.

You guys have me thinking about how to recreate the function of my cross slide lock. I was thinking of a set screw that comes from the top of the cross slide and pushes against the non sliding top surface of the dovetail. What do you think? Is pushing against the gib the only proper way to lock the cross slide?

BTW, I didn't mention it but my cross slide scale pickup mount purposely sticks out just far enough to act as a bumper against the tail stock if hit. This protects the scale pickup from being damaged. Thanks to those who warned about this danger.

I see a couple possible problems with using a "lock" like that. First, you may run the risk of putting "dimples" in the top of the slide making future locking less than accurate. Of more concern is that with a bit of wear you could be causing one side of the slide to lift adding all kinds of error to your cutting.

Just my gut reaction though,

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
(07-29-2012, 03:24 PM)ScrapMetal Wrote:
(07-29-2012, 12:44 PM)henryarnold Wrote: I also forgot to mention that because my lathe is a 10" instead of a 12", my cross slide is too short to fully contain the cross slide scale. Without a backing plate, the scale would hang out unprotected on each end of the cross slide. The backing plate and cover provide protection to the scale.

You guys have me thinking about how to recreate the function of my cross slide lock. I was thinking of a set screw that comes from the top of the cross slide and pushes against the non sliding top surface of the dovetail. What do you think? Is pushing against the gib the only proper way to lock the cross slide?

BTW, I didn't mention it but my cross slide scale pickup mount purposely sticks out just far enough to act as a bumper against the tail stock if hit. This protects the scale pickup from being damaged. Thanks to those who warned about this danger.

I see a couple possible problems with using a "lock" like that. First, you may run the risk of putting "dimples" in the top of the slide making future locking less than accurate. Of more concern is that with a bit of wear you could be causing one side of the slide to lift adding all kinds of error to your cutting.

Just my gut reaction though,

-Ron

Ron,
That makes sense. I think I'll have to come up with another solution. Earlier in this thread someone suggested a pin on the other side of the cross slide but that pin would be pushing directly on the dovetail.
Henry

On Edit: I checked the earlier post in this thread and the pictures are all missing so I have no idea how he proposed to add the cross slide lock.
Henry Arnold
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
(07-29-2012, 08:43 AM)EdK Wrote:
(07-29-2012, 07:14 AM)lemelman Wrote: Here's another way to do it...
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/...post191291

That link doesn't work. I just get a blank page.

Ed
Sorry about that, is this one OK?
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/...ide-18505/
lemelman, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
(07-30-2012, 01:37 AM)lemelman Wrote:
(07-29-2012, 08:43 AM)EdK Wrote:
(07-29-2012, 07:14 AM)lemelman Wrote: Here's another way to do it...
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/...post191291

That link doesn't work. I just get a blank page.

Ed
Sorry about that, is this one OK?
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/...ide-18505/

Yup, that works. Thanks.

Ed
Thanks given by:
ED
I have not really done anything much on my lathe but you apron and mine look identical, how does the cross slide on yours work with your dro, I think the installation is similar to mine. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
(10-15-2012, 01:02 AM)TOM REED Wrote: ED
I have not really done anything much on my lathe but you apron and mine look identical, how does the cross slide on yours work with your dro, I think the installation is similar to mine. tom

Tom,

Are you talking about Henry's lathe? My lathe isn't pictured in this thread.

Ed
Thanks given by:
ED your lathe it is pictured first before mine in show your lathe. I checked my lathe and if i have a cross slide lock it is hidden behind the scale for the DRO, I even checked my old LOGAN which is in pieces, the cross slide is still on the saddle but it appears that it does not have one. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
(10-15-2012, 02:15 PM)TOM REED Wrote: ED your lathe it is pictured first before mine in show your lathe. I checked my lathe and if i have a cross slide lock it is hidden behind the scale for the DRO, I even checked my old LOGAN which is in pieces, the cross slide is still on the saddle but it appears that it does not have one. tom

Tom,

OK, I thought you were talking about this thread where you posted your message. Do you want to know about the cross slide lock and if it's blocked by the DRO scale?

Ed
Thanks given by: