Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe
(07-07-2012, 07:50 AM)DaveH Wrote: Henry,

Looks terrific Smiley-signs107 Thumbsup

That bracket that holds the "scale pick up" did that come with the kit or did you make it ? (The bracket with the 2 round holes in)
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Dave,
The carriage brackets with the round holes came with the kit. I have to say that Meister doesn't provide as many brackets or hardware as some of their competitors. There were no brackets for the cross slide scale so I had to make my own. Although they provide the carriage brackets, there were no screws so again I had to provide my own. This seems odd since screws don't cost that much. One of the other EBay vendors provides a whole bunch of hardware including shims. For ~$500 you would think that everything needed would be in the box. The manual is also very light on installation instructions for the DRO scales. It appears that they assume that you know how to install a DRO and that the correct clearances are all that is needed. They do remind you to not point the rubber seals in the up direction. In the coming weeks I'll do a mini review of the Meister DRO.
Henry
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Henry,

You did a first class job Smiley-signs107 Worthy

Great post, great photos Thumbsup Worthy

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Last night I finished the display mount. The display comes with an arm that mounts to a wall behind the lathe. My lathe is not against a wall so I needed to fabricate a post.
I made my post from 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" square tubing with a 4" x 4" base. I welded two ears to support the arm and welded the bottom mounting plate. The arm and pivot are new ones I made from 3/4" x 1 1/2" aluminum bar stock. Here are the photos. I'm all done!

Thanks given by:
Henry
You have made a first class job installing your DRO Smiley-signs107Smiley-signs107
Thanks for posting such a detailed log
I am sure it will help others going down the DRO road ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup
John
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2012, 03:58 PM)Bogstandard Wrote: Having got 4 axis readout on my lathe, cross slide X & Y, topslide and tailstock, here are a couple of suggestions.

For locking up your cross slide, now your normal one has been covered up by the read head.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/...ic=18975.0

Here's another way to do it...
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/...post191291
lemelman, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
(07-29-2012, 07:14 AM)lemelman Wrote: Here's another way to do it...
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/...post191291

That link doesn't work. I just get a blank page.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I get the same issue Ed and unfortunately none of the pictures show in the link to Bog's thread over there.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(07-29-2012, 08:43 AM)EdK Wrote:
(07-29-2012, 07:14 AM)lemelman Wrote: Here's another way to do it...
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/...p?p=191291#

That link doesn't work. I just get a blank page.

Ed

Try refresh when your reach the page. It worked for me. I couldn't come up with a URL that worked directly from this page. I need to learn PHP.

In the target link they mounted the scale on posts to clear the gib screws. This is easier and it avoids having to make a mounting plate with carefully placed holes. I did not use this method for two reasons. I wanted my scale to be fully supported along its backside and second I wanted ears at the end of my mounting plate which support my custom cover and has end shields built in. The delivered cover was too big to fit on my installation. If you aren't going to install a cover or you don't mind the gap between the scale and the cross slide, using posts is an easy alternative.
The link also addresses a way to enable the cross slide lock which I have not addressed. He also had to deal with the same issue I had where the width of the scale and cover conflicted with the saddle lock. This second problem is why I had to go with a custom cover. I'm thinking of adding the cross slide lock in another location. I realize my solution is more difficult to implement.
Henry Arnold

Since the original post, I have completed my cross slide scale cover.
Cover over cross slide scale

The back plate ears act as end plates and provide a place for screws on each end to hold the cover in place.

The cover also fits tightly against the cross slide which deflects swarf and oil away from the scale.

Thanks given by:
I also forgot to mention that because my lathe is a 10" instead of a 12", my cross slide is too short to fully contain the cross slide scale. Without a backing plate, the scale would hang out unprotected on each end of the cross slide. The backing plate and cover provide protection to the scale.

You guys have me thinking about how to recreate the function of my cross slide lock. I was thinking of a set screw that comes from the top of the cross slide and pushes against the non sliding top surface of the dovetail. What do you think? Is pushing against the gib the only proper way to lock the cross slide?

BTW, I didn't mention it but my cross slide scale pickup mount purposely sticks out just far enough to act as a bumper against the tail stock if hit. This protects the scale pickup from being damaged. Thanks to those who warned about this danger.
Thanks given by:
(07-29-2012, 11:44 AM)henryarnold Wrote: Try refresh when your reach the page. It worked for me. I couldn't come up with a URL that worked directly from this page.

Henry,

I tried the refresh trick a number of times and it still wouldn't work. I then copied the link and pasted it into IE and it worked. So it seems Firefox has trouble displaying the page but IE does not.

Quote:I need to learn PHP.

So do I. I have a book but just no time to dig into it.

Ed
Thanks given by: