Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe
(07-01-2012, 05:46 AM)PixMan Wrote: You're on the right track with that Henry. You may consider moving it a little further back toward the rear. I don't know what that round thing is on the carriage, under the scale toward the operator side but perhaps you don't need to cover it. Here's the way the scales came installed on my dad's lathe. Note that the reader head on the X axis is mounted not between the ways but aft of them. It only took a simple angle iron bracket to get it there.

[Image: X-scale_top_right.jpg]

I'm sure your installation will be fine. I posted this just to give you a little more info and help you avoid the issues I hit in the long term.

Ken,
THANK YOU! This is the kind of advice I was looking for. I don't understand how your scale got damaged but that is what I was concerned about. I will not be able to mount my scale as far back as your dad mounted his because of my splash guard. I found a mounting position that gives me full travel and does not conflict with my carriage lock. With my planned installation I will have to remove the scale to adjust the gib screws but I don't do that very often so I guess it will be OK.

Ed is correct. I used a stack a washers to support my scale to see where it would mount. They are not part of the installation. I neglected to mention this.

Today I'm going to make my cross slide scale bracket and should have some photos soon.
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by henryarnold - 07-01-2012, 12:48 PM
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by Bogstandard - 07-03-2012, 03:58 PM
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by Bogstandard - 07-04-2012, 05:43 AM
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by Bogstandard - 07-06-2012, 01:23 AM
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by Bill Gruby - 07-06-2012, 10:22 AM