Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe
During the last couple of days I was able to resume work on my DRO installation. I've been working on the cross slide mounting first. Because the scale is longer than the length of the cross slide, a mounting plate is needed where the scale screws to the plate and the plate screws to the cross slide. I decided that I also wanted end caps that are integral to the plate so I cut my mounting plate out of 3/4" aluminum. This part could be easily made from 1/4" thick by 3/4" wide aluminum if you don't need the end caps.

I did the rough cutting on my bandsaw in the vertical position. It went surprisingly fast.

I first milled an accurate opening for the scale and then milled the back side and the ends to size.

Here's the finished mounting plate, the 1" x 1" x 1/16" angle cover, and the scale.

I drilled holes for clearance around my gib screws, the threaded holes for the scale mounting, and slotted holes for the screws that mount the plate to the cross slide.

Here's a close-up of the scale mounting hole, the slotted mounting hole and the gib screw clearance hole.

If you want to simplify your installation, drop the end caps and just cut your plate from flat 1/4" stock.
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by Bogstandard - 07-03-2012, 03:58 PM
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by Bogstandard - 07-04-2012, 05:43 AM
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by henryarnold - 07-04-2012, 12:48 PM
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by Bogstandard - 07-06-2012, 01:23 AM
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by Bill Gruby - 07-06-2012, 10:22 AM