Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe
(07-29-2012, 08:43 AM)EdK Wrote:
(07-29-2012, 07:14 AM)lemelman Wrote: Here's another way to do it...
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/...p?p=191291#

That link doesn't work. I just get a blank page.

Ed

Try refresh when your reach the page. It worked for me. I couldn't come up with a URL that worked directly from this page. I need to learn PHP.

In the target link they mounted the scale on posts to clear the gib screws. This is easier and it avoids having to make a mounting plate with carefully placed holes. I did not use this method for two reasons. I wanted my scale to be fully supported along its backside and second I wanted ears at the end of my mounting plate which support my custom cover and has end shields built in. The delivered cover was too big to fit on my installation. If you aren't going to install a cover or you don't mind the gap between the scale and the cross slide, using posts is an easy alternative.
The link also addresses a way to enable the cross slide lock which I have not addressed. He also had to deal with the same issue I had where the width of the scale and cover conflicted with the saddle lock. This second problem is why I had to go with a custom cover. I'm thinking of adding the cross slide lock in another location. I realize my solution is more difficult to implement.
Henry Arnold

Since the original post, I have completed my cross slide scale cover.
Cover over cross slide scale

The back plate ears act as end plates and provide a place for screws on each end to hold the cover in place.

The cover also fits tightly against the cross slide which deflects swarf and oil away from the scale.

henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by Bogstandard - 07-03-2012, 03:58 PM
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by henryarnold - 07-29-2012, 11:44 AM
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by Bogstandard - 07-04-2012, 05:43 AM
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by Bogstandard - 07-06-2012, 01:23 AM
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by Bill Gruby - 07-06-2012, 10:22 AM