Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe
I also forgot to mention that because my lathe is a 10" instead of a 12", my cross slide is too short to fully contain the cross slide scale. Without a backing plate, the scale would hang out unprotected on each end of the cross slide. The backing plate and cover provide protection to the scale.

You guys have me thinking about how to recreate the function of my cross slide lock. I was thinking of a set screw that comes from the top of the cross slide and pushes against the non sliding top surface of the dovetail. What do you think? Is pushing against the gib the only proper way to lock the cross slide?

BTW, I didn't mention it but my cross slide scale pickup mount purposely sticks out just far enough to act as a bumper against the tail stock if hit. This protects the scale pickup from being damaged. Thanks to those who warned about this danger.
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by Bogstandard - 07-03-2012, 03:58 PM
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by Bogstandard - 07-04-2012, 05:43 AM
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by Bogstandard - 07-06-2012, 01:23 AM
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by Bill Gruby - 07-06-2012, 10:22 AM
RE: Installing a DRO Digital Read Out on a Lathe - by henryarnold - 07-29-2012, 12:44 PM