P&W 1830 Radial in 1/6 scale.
(04-23-2013, 05:36 PM)Bill Gruby Wrote:
(04-23-2013, 05:31 PM)EdK Wrote:
(04-23-2013, 04:09 PM)Bill Gruby Wrote: The casting needs finish work now, first the lathe , then mill, and back to the lathe. For ease of finding the center in each machine this tool was fabricated. It will also keep everything flat.

"Billy G"

I'm not sure what I'm looking at Billy but it looks impressive none the less. Happyyes

Ed

Ed;
The heavy aluminum piece in the chuck is the fixture. It is made with that much mass to absorb vibration while cutting the thin casting. The casting is on a spigot and bolted in the center. This fixture will allow me to bore the offset holes for both distributors. and any other mill work. Then back into the lathe for final cuts.

"Billy G"

Billy,

OK, I took a closer look at the picture and now I see what's going on. Sorry for the Smiley-signs140

Ed
Thanks given by:
There are times when things cannot be done by normal procedures. This is part of the machinists job to figure these things out. My father used to try to tell me that 70% of a machinists job is accomplished by imagination. I will never forget those words, nor will my son.

I enjoy the questions Ed, ask any time.

"Billy G"
Thanks given by: EdK
Same fixture being centered on the Rotary Table. From here we go horizontal to bore the two distributor shaft holed. They are offset .625 from center on the Y axis and angled at 11 degrees.

"Billy G"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Looking good Bill.

Were these engines throttled by varying the ignition timing?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Thank you Darren. The two shaft holes are finished. Now back to the lathe.

"Billy G"

Thanks given by:
Fabulous work Billy ThumbsupWorthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Distributor shaft housings done without shaft holes. (660 Bronze) They can't be drilled till the housings are pressed into the lower distributor bodies. The last pic is where I begin today, the lower bodies.

"Billy G"

Thanks given by:
Billy,

Is that model airplane going to fly or is it for show only?

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed;
At this point it will be a runner but no plane in it's future. I'm building it to see if I can .

"Billy G"
Thanks given by: EdK
4 jaw turning is done. Time to put in the ER-40 Collets.

"Billy G"

Thanks given by: