How to cut HSS tools?
What are you guys using to cut HSS tools to make them shorter? I have a couple of projects that I made and need short tool bits and since I have not done this for quite some time I just can't remember what I used. I hate to just try some things without knowing what will work.
Paul
pjf134, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
With HSS blanks, I notch the corners on a grinding wheel and then place the blank in a vise so the cut off line is at the jaws. Then I cover the blank with a rag and give it good solid clout with a lump of wood. Grind up the end and off you go.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Air whizzer!!!
big job, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jun 2012.
Thanks given by:
I use one of those 1/16" resinoid "cut-off" wheels in my 4.5" angle grinder.
Big job, I'd be curious to know what an "air whizzer" is.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Although a bit slow, a Dremel tool with a cut-off disc works. Use the fiberglass reinforced cut-off disc as they don't break as easily as the other type.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I usually end up with shorts after a lot of use. I have notched and broken plenty, and it works, but be careful of not just your eyes. Sometimes the piece will come off with the speed of a bullet. You wouldn't want it to hit you anywhere, or bounce off your _______(insert fragile, delicate whatever here).

Cutoff wheel works wonders. I never really liked getting it that warm though I know it's not really supposed to hurt most HSS, but I don't trust that it won't have any bad effect.
Thanks given by:
(07-01-2012, 05:27 AM)stevec Wrote: I use one of those 1/16" resinoid "cut-off" wheels in my 4.5" angle grinder.
Big job, I'd be curious to know what an "air whizzer" is.

Steve, it's basically the same thing on a pneumatic die grinder.

[Image: product_7738_500.jpg] [Image: DYB18075.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
Angle grinder with a 1mm cutting disc works for me
John
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the tips. I do have the small air cut-off tool ready to go, but it was just too hot in the shop the other day to try so I just try to get some different ideas before I did anything. It's been in the 90's every day and this week will be in the 90's also, so I can only work out there when it is cooler. The honey do list comes first before shop time, so I will have to get out there when she is not home.
Paul
pjf134, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Here's a pic of a 3/8" round of HSS. A new boring bar was needed, so I snapped this one in half (grinder notch, hammer & vice). Did some rough grinding, put it into the vice and heated the end red hot, slipped something (a mechanic's socket extension) over the hot end and bent it 45 degrees, then ground it almost to shape and tested it with a file. Finish grinding, and then Loctite 680'd it into a steel bushing for a boring head. Bored 4 holes and it's still plenty sharp.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by: