Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly
(10-08-2012, 07:27 AM)Mayhem Wrote: I agree Tom. Perhaps the ogre who broke the quill feed handle off, broke many other things and botched up the wiring stripped the threads from that as well!

Here's a thought. Try grabbing it with a small hole gauge. If you have one that will fit in the hole, you may be able to expand it and get enough of a grip on the sides of the hole to pull the damn thing out.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2012, 07:39 AM)TomG Wrote: Here's a thought. Try grabbing it with a small hole gauge. If you have one that will fit in the hole, you may be able to expand it and get enough of a grip on the sides of the hole to pull the damn thing out.

Tom

I doubt I would have thought of that. I'll give that a go for sure.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
OK - got the pics of the head drawing off of my camera. The yellow highlighted items are either missing or need replacing. Quite a few I can sort out myself but I am going to send the whole list to Kondia in Spain for pricing and availability.

The pics aren't as good as I hoped, as the size of the drawing and the angle it was on meant that my head was hitting the roof and I couldn't see through the view finder!

The full (well almost full) 1160mm (46") x 970mm (39") drawing

Quill power feed - this is the main issue, as most of it is missing!

On the Left-hand side of this pic, there is a "Spring" (250) and "Bolt side protection" (249) that I have no idea where to look for it and I can't say I have seen it. Does anyone have any ideas????

Thanks given by:
Wow Darren, that's a lot of parts! Hopefully they won't be too pricey. At least a lot of the simple stuff, like the quill lock, you could make yourself if you had to.

250 and 249 don't look like anything I've seen on my mill, they may be internal, although with only one view it's kind of hard to get an idea of what they really look like. Are you certain they aren't shown in any of the other views?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
You are right Tom, there are lots of items I can make myself or find and I won't be ordering all of them from Kondia. That was more of an exercise of systematically going over the head to inspect every item. However, I will get a quote on all just for fun. Then I can congratulate myself on how much I can save myself Big Grin

There are E-clips, roll pins, nuts, bolts, washers, screws, keys (even the special ones) etc that I most likely have on hand. Other items like the quill lock, indicator post, quill feed lever etc I can make. Some of the missing parts I could make as well but without the dimensions that isn't going to happen!

I couldn't locate items 249 or 250 anywhere else on the head drawing but I'm happy to upload the drawing if anyone else wants to take a look.
Thanks given by:
Hello Darren,
249 and 250 are the spring clip and it's bolt that hold the "snap in" cover onto the side of the belt housing these are different on many clones, but I have seen similar ones before, if you have a look at the drawing the triangle bit on the lower left sits inside the edge of the belt housing and the round bit of the spring clips under the top edge,

I had difficulty finding the parts on the drawing but as soon as I saw it I recognised it instantly,

Just my 2cents worth, I'd get a small geared DC or 3 phase motor and digital speed controller and retrofit it as a quill feed motor, otherwise it is likely to cost a mint in spares. Other wise, investigate the mounts for the head and see how similar to a Bridgeport or clone it might be, just the four front face bolt's spacing should tell you what you need to know, and them look about for a complete head at the right price.

I don't mean to devastate you but that is a whole lotta parts you need there, If you want a project go ahead and start making them, but you'll need to start with the quill lock as you will need that before you can use the machine.

regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Hey Rick,

Thanks for that. There are no belt covers and none listed on the drawing but now that you have told me what they are, it makes sense. I'm not all that worried about belt covers and could make them if needed.

Yes, I expect the price on parts to be expensive but I will follow through with the enquiry to see. You never know... I have thought about making an auto feed using a stepper motor (have some 3 phase ones from high end moving lights I could use) but I want to explore the repair path first. however, I may just have to pick your brains later on. The spindle lock is a simple fix and as previously stated, there are many items on the list that I will not need to get from Kondia. It is however, a list that I can work from.

A donor head from another Kondia would be an ideal find. One with a shot spindle or other issue, from which I could get parts would be perfect. I saw one in the UK a while back on eBay that went for a few hundred quid but then I would need someone to dismantle it and weigh in the rest for scrap, sell the motor and then freight the rest to me. Too much trouble and may not come out any cheaper.

In reality, it only cost me $450, as there was the same (possibly more) in tooling that came with it. All others I have seen here for sale are $3900 and above (well above in some cases). So, I'll take my time and see what evolves.

So no - you haven't devastated me - you have confirmed what I already knew and it is good to have a voice of reality!
Thanks given by:
FINALLY!!!!

Sorry - crappy picture from my phone. Couldn't get it to focus.
Thanks given by:
Focus ,shmokus Congratulations Thumbsup
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
SUCCESS so how did you finally get it out, looks like a tapered bit.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: