Kondia FV-1 Head disassembly
Thanks Willie. That is why I put the backgear assembly on the head. I couldn't wrestle it and try to engage/disengage it on the bench!

I can't take credit for thinking of using the engine stand. That suggestion was made to me by Rickabilly after I posted pictures of the stand I made for working on the x-feed gearbox.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Darren, I can't seem to find the post of your use of the engine stand?

Ken I just tried a search for "engine stand" at the upper left corner of this very page and it came up with nada, how come?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Steve, that particular post may have been made on the site that cannot be named, as Rick and I were both active on there at the time and I had posted the issues I was having with the gearbox on both.

Also, the search box is crap (I can say that, as Ed agrees with me). The advanced search is somewhat better...
Thanks given by: stevec
(09-08-2013, 06:55 AM)Mayhem Wrote: ...

Also, the search box is crap (I can say that, as Ed agrees with me). The advanced search is somewhat better...

Yes, I definitely agree. The search engine sucks big time. Hopefully in version 2.0 of the software they will fix it, or at least improve it.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2013, 06:19 AM)stevec Wrote: Darren, I can't seem to find the post of your use of the engine stand?

Ken I just tried a search for "engine stand" at the upper left corner of this very page and it came up with nada, how come?

Steve, it wasn't a particular thread that I saw. It was one of Darren's pictures in post #70 actually. It's just that after a 35 year career rebuilding engines and such, you kind of notice those things. Rotfl

Willie
Thanks given by:
Really looking good Darren Smiley-signs107 so far Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: Mayhem
Thanks for the credit there Darren, I had completely forgotten that I'd given that adviceThumbsup

I was reading thinking, "that's one of my tricks", then when you said you "couldn't take credit" I thought, I wonder who suggested that then.

Funny how information travels.

Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
OK - well Kondia have given me a list of parts and actually told me that they may be able to get parts made that are no longer in stock. I've asked if I can get the drawings... I don't have a reply yet Big Grin

Now when I purchased the mill I assumed that it was metric, as it is Spanish made and this one ended up at a distributor in QLD. I've been given two options for the feed elevation nut and also the micrometer rod and nuts for the quill (inch and metric). I have made the following observations:
  • The scale was missing from the quill but the micrometer screw thread is 20tpi. There are 50 divisions on the nut.
  • The feed rates for the power quill feed are in inches per minute.
  • The feed rates for the x-feed gearbox are in inches per minute.
All of which lead me to believe that I have an inch mill, as I note that pictures on some of these I have seen have the feed rate in mm per minute.

To confirm that the axis screws are inch or metric I would zero the dial, crank and measure the distance for a revolution of the dial. This isn't possible at the moment, as everything is in pieces! Measuring the pitch indicates 5tpi and the dials are 200 divisions on the x and y and 100 divisions on the z. Again, I'm guessing inch.

Does anyone agree/disagree have any suggestions?
Thanks given by:
Darren, I would say conclusively that it is an "inch" mill. Curiosity asks, without going over the 79 posts to this thread, what are some of the easily accessed nuts & bolts?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: Mayhem
Thanks Steve. Nuts and bolts are all metric, as are the keys, circlips etc.
Thanks given by: