pin vice
hi well its not getting panted and yep its from the air ministry and just be low that is the makers name which I'm gowning to google but i did not pick me post it note up then below that it is dated 1948 and then it has a serial No on it to
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
hi i got the date rong its 1941
Thanks given by:
Maybe you can trace the serial number to its original owner. Now that would be cool.

"Billy G" Big Grin
Thanks given by:
hi only part of the number is visible the same goes for the makers name i have had no luck so far with google with wot remains of the number or name
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2012, 06:22 PM)krv3000 Wrote: hi only part of the number is visible the same goes for the makers name i have had no luck so far with google with wot remains of the number or name

There appear to be several similar hand vices from Timmins and Son on eBay right now Bob. Perhaps you might be able to find a match to yours there that would give you some more info?

Willie Smiley-eatdrink004
Willie
Thanks given by:
hi i will have a look thanks for the heds up
Thanks given by:
Hello Bob, I've got a heap of those, maybe 4 or 6 or so. What part of the name have you got? I'll try to match it up to one or more of mine.

Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
When I saw the title for "pin vice" I thought I was going to see what we have here in the US as "pin vise". They are called that in the Starrett catalogs, and they make two different basic styles. One is a single angle collet inside (No.162's, in the box on the left) with reduced shank diameter to make it easier to spin them between you fingers. The other style (No.240's, in the plastic case) uses a longer double angle collet inside for maximum grip of gauge pins.

[Image: IMG_0744-r4.jpg]

I guess this is another of example of "two nations divided by a common language." Rotfl
Thanks given by:
Good Job again there Bob WorthyWorthy Good as new, I have a couple of these and will see what the markings are on them, I have never looked close at them before, they might have the other half of the name that is on yours ?.
Cheers Mick.
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
(09-17-2012, 11:29 AM)PixMan Wrote: I guess this is another of example of "two nations divided by a common language." Rotfl

Umm,

No,

Here in the UK and in Australia "pin vice" refers to the same item you have shown us in the pictures, the device Bob has been working on has always been called a "Hand Chuck" or "Hand Vice" in my experience, these are super handy when making keys or grinding tool steel or in a myriad of other situations where getting a grip on a work piece is difficult or dangerous. I am a huge fan of these work holding widgets, actually all work holding widgets, I collect them whenever I see them from locking pliers to pin chucks, pearl catches, hemostats/forceps, HandChucks and other special grippers like this ebay item number: 110952909049.

I just find it interesting how many doo hickeys are out there from various industries.

Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by: