Sheet Metal tools, Show me your Guillotines
Hello Darren and Dave,
The quick smooth action comes from the inertia of the fly weights combined with the four start big pitch square thread, while it does look like a big G clamp there is so much more at play, the power involved comes from the twenty or so pounds of "flying" weights, imagine the force from a twenty pound hammer, this force is then multiplied through the screw thread so that the normal hammer style impact is also controlled for you, no need to guide the hammer means you can really just put your whole body into supplying power and the punch will hit on target every time.

As the weights turn on about a four foot diameter and You use about a third of a turn to get full speed that is roughly equal to a four foot swing of a twenty pound hammer at the end of which all the force and power is exerted instantaneously, and the force from the four feet of the swing is multiplied by the stroke of the ram which is about an inch, so a multiplication of 48:1,

I will try to get a wider shot of the action but being on my own makes it hard to get enough perspective from a camera.

Best Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sheet Metal tools, Show me your Guillotines - by Rickabilly - 07-17-2012, 11:15 PM